Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
|Launched||September 25, 2005|
The Waray Wikipedia is the Waray language edition of Wikipedia. It is hosted on servers run by the Wikimedia Foundation since 25 September 2005. As of July 22, 2018, this edition has 1,263,127 articles and is the 11th largest Wikipedia edition. Despite having very few active users (74), the Waray Wikipedia has a high number of automatically generated articles created by bots, most of them by Swedish Wikipedian Sverker Johansson's Lsjbot.
The Waray Wikipedia was first organized in Tacloban on 25 September 2005 by Harvey Fiji. The wiki had a small number of contributors, with fewer than ten editors per month until April 2009. The first meet-up of editors took place in January 2013 in Tacloban.
By early 2011 the Waray Wikipedia had attracted notice for including more than twice as many articles as the Tagalog Wikipedia, which is based on the principal language of The Philippines. This discrepancy was explained by the very large number of articles added automatically by bots, with no direct human input. By early June 2014 the Waray Wikipedia had attained a very high article count of 1 million, but a very low article depth of less than 3. Article depth is an attempt to measure the collaborative quality of articles, based on the number of edits per article.
According to automatically updated Wikimedia data, as of July 22, 2018, the Waray Wikipedia has 2,876,181 pages (including user pages, help pages, etc.), 74 active users, and 6,190,825 total edits. The article depth of Waray Wikipedia is 3.51—a rough indicator of the article's collaborative quality—compared to 24.09 for the Tagalog Wikipedia. (Waray and Tagalog are related languages belonging to the Malayo-Polynesian branch of the Austronesian language family.)
- On 26 August 2010 the Waray Wikipedia passed the 100,000-article milestone, making it the 35th largest language edition at that time.
- On 8 June 2014 the encyclopedia passed the 1 million article mark.
- "Start of the Waray Wikipedia". War.wikipedia.org. 2005-09-25.
- "Mga Estadistika". War.wikipedia.org. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- List of Wikipedias
- For This Author, 10,000 Wikipedia Articles is a Good Day's Work - WSJ
- The world's most prolific writer - Features – N by Norwegian
- Hans robot har skrivit halva Wikipedia - Internetworld
- "Waray". Ethnologue. Summer Institute of Linguistics. Retrieved 5 January 2017.
- Locsin, Joel (2014-06-10). "Waray Wikipedia hits 1 million articles". Yahoo News Philippines.
- "Wikipedia Statistics Waray". Stats.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- Martin W. Lewis (2011-04-18). "The Linguistic Geography of the Wikipedia". GeoCurrents.info.
- Siddique, Ashik (2013-12-27). "Meet the Stats Master Making Sense of Wikipedia's Massive Data Trove". Wired.
|Waray edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Waray Wikipedia.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Waray phrasebook.|
|Waray test of Wiktionary at Wikimedia Incubator|
- Meetup page of Waray Wikipedia
- Milestones of the Waray Wikipedia
- Waray Wikipedia mobile version
- Improving Wikimedia Projects Content through Collaboration - Waray Wikipedia Experience, 2014-2017