This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||1968 (age 49–50)|
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
|Administrative career (AD unless noted)|
Warde Joseph Manuel (born c. 1968) is an American college athletics administrator, former American football player. On January 29th, 2016, he was named the 13th Director of Athletics at his alma mater, the University of Michigan. He was named the Director of Athletics at the University of Connecticut on February 12, 2012. From August 29, 2005 to February 12, 2012, Manuel was the athletic director at the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York. Prior to arriving at Buffalo, Manuel was an associate athletic director at the University of Michigan.
Early life and playing career
Manuel played high school football at Brother Martin High School in New Orleans. He was a first team high school All-American. He was recruited and enrolled at the University of Michigan where he played defensive tackle for the Wolverines from 1986 to 1989, for coach Bo Schembechler, before suffering a career-ending neck injury.
Manuel developed his management skills as assistant athletic director and then associate AD at the University of Michigan. He credits Michigan coaches and staff for his success, including Bo Schembechler, Stephen Ross, and Greg Harden, now Director of Athletic Counseling at U-M.
Manuel was responsible for the hiring of Turner Gill as the head coach of Buffalo's football team. Under Gill the team achieved its first winning season and first invitation to a post season bowl game since the program joined NCAA Division I athletics in 1999. Manuel has helped change Buffalo's image and marketing strategy. Immediately after he took office, Manuel replaced the old "Bull Head" logo with a sleeker, more modern bull. Manuel also increased the athletics budget from $11 million to $25 million within three years of his hiring.
- Cain, Carol (August 27, 2017). "How fate led Warde Manuel to Michigan athletic director job". Detroit Free Press. Archived from the original on August 29, 2017. Retrieved August 29, 2017.
- Viera, Mark (February 13, 2012). "Tests for New Athletic Director at UConn". The New York Times. Retrieved February 15, 2012.
- "Warde Manuel Named Director of Athletics". uconnhuskies.com. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- "University of Michigan Football Rosters". Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan.
- "Warde Manuel credits U-M for showing him what to do at UConn", by Carol Cain, April 27, 2014.
- Manuel's can-do attitude does plenty (Buffalo News Archives)
- New Buffalo trifecta busting racial barriers (USAToday)