Wardruna live at the Roadburn Festival 2015
|Genres||Nordic folk, ambient, dark folk|
|Labels||Indie Recordings, By Norse Music|
|Associated acts||Det Hedenske Folk, Mortify, Bak de Syv Fjell, Gorgoroth, Jotunspor, Sahg, Dead to this World, Skuggsjá, Trelldom, Gaahlskagg, God Seed|
Lindy Fay Hella
Wardruna is a Norwegian music group dedicated to creating musical renditions of Norse cultural and esoteric traditions. It was formed in 2003 by Einar Selvik along with Gaahl and Lindy Fay Hella. The band have since released three full-length albums, each based on a set of runes. Their third album, Runaljod - Ragnarok, was released on October 21, 2016. Wardruna make significant use of Nordic historical and traditional instruments including various percussion, flutes, kraviklyra, tagelharpe, mouth harp, goat horn and lur. Non-traditional instruments and other sources of sound like trees, rocks, water and torches are also used.
In 2014, Selvik announced on the group's official Facebook page that they would take part in composing the score for season 2 of Vikings along with Trevor Morris. He later appeared as an actor on the show. In 2014, Gaahl left Wardruna on amicable terms.
TeamRock.com described Wardruna's music as "a conjunction of the earthy, the organic and the ethereal" with "runic-based rites inhabit[ing] a frequency that once heard have always seemed just adjacent to everyday consciousness". Thanks in part to the success of Vikings, the band's 2016 album, Runaljod Ragnarok, debuted at No. 1 in Billboard's World Albums chart.
- Current members
- Einar "Kvitrafn" Selvik: vocals, all instruments, composer
- Lindy Fay Hella: vocals, flute
- Arne Sandvoll
- HC Dalgaard
- Eilif Gundersen
- Jørgen Nyrønning
- Former members
- Gaahl: vocals
- Runaljod – Gap Var Ginnunga (2009, Indie Recordings/Fimbulljóð Productions)
- Runaljod - Yggdrasil (2013, Indie Recordings/Fimbulljóð Productions)
- Runaljod - Ragnarok (2016, Indie Recordings/By Norse Music)
- "About Wardruna". Wardruna. Retrieved 2016-10-15.
- "WARDRUNA's Music In 'Vikings' TV Series".
- "Einar Kvitrafn Selvik (Wardruna) Appearing On History Channel’s Vikings". Ghost Cult Magazine.
- "Gaahl No Longer Performing Live With Wardruna".
- Jonathan Selzer (2016): Norse code: how Wardruna's runic trilogy transformed Norway's musical landscape, Teamrock.com
- Norwegian band rides ‘Vikings' success to top of Billboard chart, TheLocal.no