Crytek UK (Xbox 360)
|Release date(s)||Microsoft Windows
October 21, 2013
April 22, 2014
Warface is a free-to-play online first-person shooter developed by Crytek Kiev and co-produced by Crytek Seoul and Crytek Frankfurt with Crytek UK developing the Xbox 360 port. The game was developed with Crytek's CryEngine 3. The Xbox 360 port was discontinued on February 1, 2015.
As players play and complete matches, they will earn experience points (XP), Warface Dollars ($), and vendor points (VP); how much is earned varies depending on the number of players in the lobby (in order to prevent or reduce potential boosting among players), how quickly the match is finished, and the amount of score and kills. Warface Dollars can be used to purchase certain weapons and items for the player's classes, while Vendor points contribute toward unlocking new items for purchase in one of three categories: Weapons, Outfits, and Equipment. Booster packs are available for sale in the in-game store, allowing the player to earn additional XP, $, and VP.
The game features four different classes: Rifleman, Medic, Engineer, and Sniper. The main functions of each class perform in a similar manner to those in Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Each class has its own unique type of primary weapons and "Special Action" (with exception to the Sniper) and are each uniquely suited for different roles.
- Rifleman: The balanced class, a Rifleman is all providing cover fire and is the driving force in the team. Made for close to medium range combat scenarios, thanks to either their assault rifles or light machine guns. A Rifleman's Special Action is resupplying ammo to their teammates and themselves while in combat.
- Medic: The Medic class is built for close combat, equipped with shotguns and a light pistol. The Medic has the ability to heal themselves and their allies. Fallen allies can be revived with a defibrillator.
- Engineer: The Engineer is tactically equipped for close to medium range, equipped with either submachine guns or compact assault rifles. The class's Special Action is the ability to restore allies' armor as well as their own. Engineers can also plant claymores that detonate on a moment's notice.
- Sniper: The Sniper class is silent but deadly. Equipped for long range combat scenarios with sniper rifles, as stated before, they hold no special action; but they can place anti-personnel mines if they are purchased for the class. The sniper is also the ideal "cover" for the other team members.
There are seven multiplayer game modes in Warface, only five of which are available on the Xbox 360 version. Each game mode has their own exclusive set of maps. All game modes and maps can support up to a maximum of 16 players.
- Team Deathmatch - Standard game mode, team versus team. Reach maximum kills to achieve victory.
- Free For All - One player against everyone else. Reach maximum kills or have the most points to achieve victory.
- Plant The Bomb - One team must plant the bomb in the enemy base. The other team defends. Sides are exchanged after five rounds. Best six out of 10.
- Storm - Capture three points on the map in succession. The other team must defend those points from the attacking team. Sides are exchanged when the time expires.
- Capture - A game where one team tries to capture a warhead while another tries to protect it.
- Destruction - Deliver three air strikes on the enemy position. One team must hold the position on the map located in the center of the map. (not yet available on Xbox 360)
- Bag 'n Tag - A game mode alike to free for all, though each player must eliminate the everyone else in a large map and collect dog tags for extra points.
In addition to competitive multiplayer, Warface supports cooperative multiplayer for up to five players. There are a total of ten mission types, only six of which are also on the Xbox 360.
- Initiation - Serves as a warm-up for players new to Co-Op. Consists of simply clearing a village of hostile Blackwood forces.
- Apache - Destroy a Blackwood Ka-50 helicopter.
- Arena - Hold your ground and defend a city from incoming Blackwood troops.
- Convoy - Intelligence has reported that the enemy is building fortifications in this region. Support our vehicles in locating and destroying them.
- Mech - Find the secret weapon named "Mech 2300" within the village.
- Safari - Mount a friendly transport and clear the path of Blackwood enemies.
- Tower Raid - Eliminate a high-ranking Blackwood official while fighting through each floor, swarming with enemies. (not yet available on Xbox 360)
- Cold Peak - This is a 3 map pack mission which consists of 3 missions: Cold Peak, Ambush, Zenith. (not available on Xbox 360)
- Cyber Horde - This is a new co-operative survival mode which includes 3 difficulties. In this survival mode, the player and 4 other teammates must escort a truck equipped with a EMP device through a treacherous map filled with Cyborg Zombies. This survival mode was added in the 2015 Halloween update.
- Anubis - This is a new co-operative survival mode which includes 3 difficulties. In this survival mode, the player and 4 other teammates must fight through hundreds of Blackwood troops while approaching a pyramid filled with Cyborg Zombies in the final map. This mission consists of 2 gigantic maps, and was added to Warface in early 2016.
Warface was originally aimed for a release in mainland China, but in August 2011 Crytek announced that the game would be hitting the Western markets in 2012. Later on in February 2012, the game was announced to be published by Nexon in South Korea and Taiwan. The game is currently in an open beta stage on Mail.Ru's game client in Russia. In July 2012, Trion Worlds announced it will be publishing the game in the United States, New Zealand, Turkey, Australia, and Europe. Warface closed beta started on January 17, 2013.
In August 2012, it was announced that Warface could possibly be coming to consoles in the near future. In August 28, 2013, Crytek announced that Warface would come to Xbox 360 in early 2014. The game was released for the Xbox 360 on April 22, 2014. However, on December 3, 2014, Crytek announced that the Xbox 360 version of the game would be shut down. New sign up was shut down after the announcement, but existing players could still play the game until 11:59 pm on January 30th 2015. The servers shut down at midnight on February 1st 2015, making multiplayer no longer accessible to Xbox LIVE users.
- Tan, Nicholas (3 December 2014). "Crytek Discontinuing Warface on Xbox 360". Gamerevolutin. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- "Crytek reveals Warface". Crytek. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Warface Announced for 2012 Release".
- "Nexon publishing Crytek's Warface in South Korea, Taiwan".
- "New parthnership with Trion Worlds". Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Warface free-to-play shooter closed beta launches today".
- "Warface could come to consoles". Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Matulef, Jeffrey (28 August 2013). "Free-to-play FPS Warface coming to Xbox 360 in early 2014". Eurogamer. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Samit Sarkar (April 22, 2014). "Warface exits beta on Xbox 360 today". Polygon. Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- Earnest Cavalli (December 3, 2014). "Warface lays down its guns on Xbox 360". Joystiq. Retrieved December 3, 2014.
- "Warface for PC". GameRankings. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "Warface for X360". GameRankings. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "Warface for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "Warface for Xbox 360 Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2013-05-30.