Wargame Construction Set III: Age of Rifles 1846-1905
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Wargame Construction Set III: Age of Rifles 1846-1905 (or simply Age of Rifles) is a turn-based strategy game for MS-DOS, written by Norm Koger. It was published in 1996 by Strategic Simulations.
Age of Rifles simulates battles throughout the era of percussion rifles, roughly comprising the second half of the 19th century. To this end, several dozen battle scenarios are provided in the game. Most of them are set during the American Civil War, but scenarios from the Crimean War, the Anglo-Zulu War, Afghan Wars, the Prusso-Austrian and the Franco-Prussian War, and the Russo-Japanese War are also included.
Scenarios can be played individually or within the framework of a campaign, where the outcome of earlier battles influences the course of later battles. In addition, random scenarios are available as well.
There is also a scenario editor with which users can develop and share their own battles, and thereby extend the scope of the game. Scenarios as early as the Battle of Hastings have been generated this way.
The game can be played with two human players, or with the computer taking over one or both sides. An option for playing out battles via e-Mail is also provided.
There is still a small community of players who develop and publish new scenarios for AoR.
- Norm Koger's website
- Entry at Moby Games
- Game review at Game Revolution
- Website with resources for AoR
- Morris, Daniel. "Age of Rifles". PC Games. Archived from the original on May 25, 1997.
- Staff (April 1997). "Best of the Bunch; Finalists Named for CGW Premier Awards". Computer Gaming World (153): 28, 32.
- Staff (May 1997). "The Computer Gaming World 1997 Premier Awards". Computer Gaming World (154): 68–70, 72, 74, 76, 78, 80.