|Founded||August 12, 1998|
|Victor Kislyi (CEO)
Vangelis Georgiou (Managing Director / Head of Global Publishing)
Matias Myllyrinne (Head of Development)
Andrew Tinney (Chief Financial Officer)
Nick Katselapov (Executive Director / Chief Business Development Officer)
Jerry Prochazka (Chief Human Resources Officer)
|Products||Video Games & Services|
|Revenue||€217,9 million (2012)|
|€6,1 million (2012)|
Number of employees
Wargaming America, Inc.
Wargaming Asia Pte. Ltd.
Primarily focused on turn-based strategy and real-time strategy Games, Wargaming switched to developing free-to-play online action games in 2009, and has since become one of the leaders in the market. The company's critical and commercial success came after the launch of its first online project, the military-themed team-based game World of Tanks.
The company's first project was DBA Online—the digital version of a miniature tabletop rule set De Bellis Antiquitatis—launched in 2000. Wargaming started working on its first full-scale commercial project—the sci-fi turn-based strategy game Massive Assault, in March 2002.
On November 16, 2007, Wargaming acquired the Minsk-based developer Arise. In December 2008, the company released its first real-time strategy Operation Bagration. On April 16, 2009, Wargaming started working on real-time strategy Order of War, which was published by Square Enix on September 18, 2009. On August 12, 2010, the company released its first online title World of Tanks. On April 12, 2011, World of Tanks was released in North America and Europe.
At E3 2011, Wargaming announced the follow-up to World of Tanks, the flight combat online action game World of Warplanes. At Gamescom 2011, the company unveiled the third part of its military saga—the naval action online game World of Warships.
In October 2011, Wargaming announced the online collectible card MMO game World of Tanks: Generals.
2011 marked the beginning of active global expansion for Wargaming. On July 26, 2011, the company opened Wargaming Group Ltd (the new holding company of the Group) with headquarters in Nicosia, Cyprus and after that the European Business Operations Centre—Wargaming Europe—with headquarters in Paris, France and with a subsidiary office in Berlin, Germany. On August 3, 2011, the company created a direct presence in North America by opening an office in San Francisco.
On February 21, 2012, the Android version of World of Tanks Assistant, the mobile application for World of Tanks, went live in Europe and North America.
In June 2012, Wargaming embarked on a rebranding initiative and announced the Wargaming.net service, which will unite its games and services into a single battle universe. In the same month, Wargaming had grown to 900 employees throughout the world. On August 7, 2012, Wargaming acquired Australian company BigWorld Technology which brought development of the middleware for its MMO projects in-house.
In 2012, Wargaming's revenue was declared to be 217.9 million Euro, with net profit of 6.1 million Euro, declared in an annual report for the Cyprus Stock Exchange (CSE). Wargaming's shares were delisted from CSE in 2015 and it is a privately held company to date.
On January 29, 2013, Wargaming set sights on the console market by acquiring Day 1 Studios. Renamed Wargaming Chicago-Baltimore, the studios are currently developing World of Tanks: Xbox 360 Edition (February 2014), Xbox One (July 2015) and PlayStation 4 (January 2016).
On February 14, 2013, the company acquired Gas Powered Games. On March 26, 2013, Wargaming announced World of Tanks Blitz, the mobile MMO game centered around tank combat available on smartphones and tablets. The game was released on iOS  in June 2014. As of 2016, World of Tanks Blitz is available on iOS, Android, Windows 10 and Mac OS X.
As of 2016, Wargaming owns a significant share of the Hellenic Bank (Daniel S. Loeb's Third Point Group is the other major shareholder of the Cyprus-based Bank), and has shown interest in purchasing land property assets in Cyprus for its own use and investment purposes. Wargaming is currently the largest taxpayer within Cyprus.
Strategic partners and owned studios
- BigWorld Pty Ltd—Sydney, Australia
- Wargaming West  (formerly Day 1 Studios)—Chicago, Illinois (USA), Baltimore, Maryland (USA)
- Wargaming Seattle (formerly Gas Powered Games)—Redmond, Washington (USA)
- Game Stream—Minsk, Belarus
- Persha Studia—Kiev, Ukraine
- Lesta Studio—Saint-Petersburg, Russia
- DAVA Consulting—Minsk, Belarus
- Melsoft Games — Minsk, Belarus
Games and reception
Wargaming has created more than 15 titles, the most popular being the online action game World of Tanks. World of Tanks created a new market niche of slow-paced military-history PvP games, which the company expanded in the following years by releasing the flight MMO World of Warplanes (2013), the cross-platform action game World of Tanks Blitz (2014), the turn-based collectible card game World of Tanks Generals (2015), and the naval warfare MMO World of Warships (2015). All these titles are united within the Wargaming.net service.
Wargaming Seattle is engaged in the development of an unannounced project.
|Release year||Title||Publisher||Genre||Aggregated scores|
|2000||DBA Online||Turn-based strategy||Not available|
|2003||Massive Assault||Turn-based strategy||80.11%, 77|
|2004||Massive Assault Network||Turn-based strategy||78.15%, 74|
|2005||Massive Assault: Domination||Turn-based strategy||69.61%, 69|
|2006||Massive Assault Network 2||Turn-based strategy||76.00%, 72|
|2007||Galactic Assault: Prisoner of Power||Turn-based strategy||69.47%, 68|
|2009||Order of War||Square Enix||Real-time strategy||71.67%, 69|
|2010||Order of War: Challenge||Wargaming||Real-time strategy||72.50%, 70|
||World of Tanks||Wargaming||Massively multiplayer online game||82.15%, 80|
|World of Warplanes||Wargaming||Multiplayer online action game||69.18% 69|
|2014||World of Tanks Xbox 360||Wargaming||Multiplayer online action game|
|2014||World of Tanks Blitz||Wargaming||Multiplayer online action game|
|2015||World of Warships||Wargaming||Multiplayer online action game||80.93% 81|
|2015||World of Tanks on Xbox One||Wargaming||Multiplayer online action game|
|2015||World of Tanks Generals||Wargaming||Turn-based collectible card game|
|2016||Smash Squad||WG Cells|
|2016||Master of Orion: Conquer the Stars||WG Labs||Turn-based strategy||75.83% 74|
|2016||Hybrid Wars||WG Labs||Top-down shooter|
The company currently has several projects in the pipeline being developed for multiple platforms. Its flight combat action game World of Warplanes was released in November 2013. The naval action title World of Warships entered Open Beta Test phase in 2015. Other projects in the works include the CCG World of Tanks: Generals, mobile MMO game World of Tanks Blitz and World of Tanks: Xbox 360 Edition.
WG Labs is an organizational unit within Wargaming that cooperates with 3rd party developers and delivers games that go beyond the company's traditional paradigm. Opened in 2015, the division partnered with the NGD Studios to release Master of Orion: Conquer the Stars (2016) and is working with Extreme Developers on the top-down shooter Hybrid Wars.
The Wargaming.net service
Announced in 2012, Wargaming.net is a service developed by Wargaming. The service is designed to support all of Wargaming's online games, and provide a single point of entry to all Wargaming projects, partners and fan websites.
The service includes:
- Single unified account system—Wargaming.net ID that grants direct access to all Wargaming online titles.
- Advanced account management system—Improved personal account tools that will provide gamers with increased security, including optimized password and login resets and account restoration.
- Original payment system, built on the free-to-win principles.
- Common economics that will allow players to transfer Gold and Free Experience between Wargaming's titles (World of Warships excluded).
Unified Premium Account (UPA)
With the introduction of the Unified Premium Account service, players got the opportunity to maintain Premium time across World of Tanks and World of Warplanes, and World of Warships without any additional expenses. When purchased in World of Tanks, the Premium account is now also automatically activated for World of Warplanes and World of Warships.
The concept underlying the Unified Premium Account service contradicts business models previously established in the games industry. Instead of charging players for every piece of new content, it now spans the Premium options across all of the company's titles.
The service was announced in June 2012.
In August 2012, Wargaming deployed the OpenID authentication system, enabling players to log into all Wargaming-related websites using a Wargaming.net ID.
In May 2013, the first public version of Wargaming.net Service went live.
Shortly before E3 2013, it was announced that all Wargaming.net ID owners would benefit from the Unified Premium Account service, allowing players to pay for all premium services at once, with the added benefit of an increased experience and credit accrual rate in-game.
Since 2013, Wargaming runs its own eSports organization, the Wargaming.net League. The League serves as a platform for World of Tanks pro-gamers, with each tournament year broken down into several seasons featuring a series of online and offline events that culminate in a massive offline tournament, Grand Finals.
Military history activities
Wargaming is involved in a number of projects to preserve military cultural heritage, including:
- The restoration of the sole surviving Maus super-heavy tank together with the Russian Kubinka Tank Museum
- The restoration of military warfare at the Central Museum of the Armed Forces (Moscow), "The Victory Weapon" Museum (Krasnodar, Russia)
- The restoration of WWII memorials in Medyn (Kaluga region, Russia) and on the Volokolamsk highway (Moscow region, Russia)
- The recovery of the world's last remaining Dornier Do 17, now on display at the Royal Air Force Museum in Cosford, United Kingdom
- The Wargaming Education Center at the Tank Museum at Bovington, United Kingdom
- Annual Memorial Day events in North America. Donating revenue from select in-app purchases to charities, including AMVETS, Homes for Our Troops, and Military Families Fund
- The ongoing sponsorship of the USS Iowa, docked in the Port of Los Angeles, California
- Fundraising for restoration projects at the Tank Museum at Bovington, United Kingdom. Proceeds from special premium shop packages are donated to the museum and used to restore the museum's current fleet of operational vehicles and to buy the highly specialized tools required to service them
- A 25-hour streaming marathon at Wargaming West to raise money for children's hospitals and other children's charities (November 2013)
- The Grace After Fire charity stream in North America. Assisting women veterans transitioning from military service, providing resources and a space to connect, renew, and heal
- Restored of 1 of 4 remaining AC-1 Sentinel tanks, now located in the Australian Armor & Artillery Museum, Cairns (March 2016)
- Restored KV-1 to fully working order together with The Historical and Cultural Complex Stalin Line.
VR and AR Content
As part of its historical initiatives, Wargaming is actively exploring virtual and augmented reality technologies. In early 2015, the company worked with Google to record and accurately portray a 1941 battle in 360° for the Google Cardboard mobile HMD. This was soon followed by a series of panoramic tours of WWII tanks, Virtually Inside the TanksRetrieved, filmed in cooperation with Google and The Tank Museum in Bovington, England. Available via the Littlstar VR cinema network, the series currently includes the T-34-76, the M4 Sherman "Fury" from the Brad Pitt movie of the same name, the Type 59, Leopard 1, and the Chieftain. Each video also offers a tour with Wargaming Military Specialists Richard Cutland and Nicolas Moran.
To honor Victory Day, Wargaming released the "War Knows No Nation" video. The video rekindles the memories of three veteran World War II tankers, blending live action panorama footage with CG scenes for the very first time.
In spring 2016, Wargaming joined forces with the National Museum of the Royal Navy, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard and honored the anniversary of the Battle of Jutland with an augmented reality app: HMS Caroline AR Experience. This app recreates the only ship still in existence that fought at the Battle of Jutland: the WW1 cruiser HMS Caroline.
To congratulate Russians on Navy Day, Wargaming created a Porthub augmented reality mobile app that lets users take snapshots with legendary warships.
As part of the 100 Years of Tanks celebration, Wargaming presented the Virtually inside the First Tanks 360° Video that featured a walkthrough of Bovington's collection of early tanks, enhanced by World of Tanks in-game scenes of the Mark I, and the free "Tank 100" mobile app.
The latest series in its range of 360° videos, Virtual Inside the Warships, is set to debut soon and will feature HMS Cavalier, amongst others.
- Best Game Developer Award at GDC Russia 2009 (KRI-2009).
- Media Award at GDC Russia 2009 (KRI-2009).
- Best Game Developer Award at GDC Russia 2010 (KRI-2010).
- Special Award from the Industry at GDC Russia 2011 (KRI-2011).
- Industry Excellence Award at GDC Russia 2012 (KRI-2012).
- Best Game Developer Award at GDC Russia 2012 (KRI-2012).
- Best MMO Award for World of Tanks at the Golden Joystick Awards 2012.
- Best Booth Award from Massively at E3 2012.
- Best Publisher Award from MMORPGITALIA.
- Best Action Download MMO 2012 Award for World of Tanks in the MMO of the Year awards.
- Best Classic Download MMO 2013 Award for World of Tanks in the MMO of the Year awards.
- Cyprus Corporate Registry WARGAMING GROUP LIMITED.i-cyprus.com June, 2011. Retrieved September 2016
- GRADA International NV Wargaming center Cyprus. grada.be July, 2016. Retrieved September 2016
- Bloomberg Company Overview of Wargaming Public Company Limited. bloomberg.com JOctober 04, 2016. Retrieved September 2016
- Daniel Tack Wargaming Rolls Out To Austin forbes.com August 21, 2013. Retrieved September 2016
- sgpbusiness.com WARGAMING ASIA PTE. LTD.. www.sgpbusiness.com October 2012. Retrieved September 2016
- Hermes Solomon (February 15, 2015). "Wargaming: heroes or martyrs?". Cyprus Mail. Archived from the original on February 17, 2015. Retrieved February 17, 2015.
- Joystiq Staff. Hit List Q&A: Wargaming CEO Victor Kislyi. Joystiq.com January 2013. Retrieved September 17, 2013
- Scott Parrino. Interview: Massive Assault In-Depth. Wargamer.com August 2003. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Elisabeth Cardy. How Wargaming.net launched itself to the top. Joystiq.com September 2012. Retrieved September 17, 2013.4. Nicholas Yanes.
- Wargaming's Sergey Burkatovskiy on World of Tanks and Working in the F2P MMO Market. Gamesauce.org July 2013. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Wargaming history. Wargaming.com Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Joe Martin.World of Warplanes announced. Bit-tech.net June 2011. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Jim Rossingnol.Full Ahead: World of Battleships Announced. Rockpapershotgun.com August 2011. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Wargaming.net Expands to Europe. Ign.com July 2011. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Wargaming.net and DAVA Join Forces. Ign.com June 2011. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Justin Olivetti.World of Tanks iOS app rolls off the factory line. Massively.joystiq.com February 2012. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Craig Chapple. Wargaming.net continues growth with Seoul office. Develop-online.net May 2012. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Jef Reahard. Wargaming.net to unify all its titles in a 'single MMO battle realm'. Massively.joystiq.com June 2012. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Press Release posted by Curtis Szmania. Wargaming.net announces a global battle portal. Wargamer.com June 2012. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Craig Chapple. Wargaming.net acquires BigWorld for $45m. Develop-online.net August 2012. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Dean Takahashi. Wargaming acquires BigWorld middleware firm for $45M (exclusive). Venturebeat.com August 2012. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Strategies for playing at war: World of Tanks revenues have soared from €18m in 2011 to €218m last year. Bambooinnovator.com June 2013. Retrieved July 16, 2013.
- Ben Maxwell. Wargaming acquires Fracture dev Day 1, opens Chicago studio. Edge-online.com January 2013. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Dave Tach. Wargaming.net acquires FEAR 3 developer Day 1 Studios to form Wargaming West. Polygon.com January 2013. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Charlie Hall. World of Tanks Xbox 360 Edition: Wargaming's phenomenon comes to the console. Polygon.com June 2013. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Tori McGrath. Wargaming.net League Announced for World of Tanks. Gamebreaker.tv February 2013. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Laura Parker. World of Tanks Blitz coming to smartphones and tablets. Gamespot.com March 2013. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Polygon World of Tanks Blitz launches globally on iOS June 26 Polygon.com Jane 2016.
- Venturebeat World of Tanks Blitz launches on Android with cross-platform iOS gameplay venturebeat.com December 2014.
- Wargaming BLITZ IS AVAILABLE NOW FOR WINDOWS 10! wotblitz.com December 2015.
- Thearmoredpatrol WoT Blitz Released on Mac OS thearmoredpatrol.com March,2016.
- Wargaming expands with new Tokyo office. Destructoid.com May 2013. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Adam Solo. Wargaming Takes Master of Orion, Stardock Gets Star Control. Spacesector.com July 2013. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- AndrewH  Wargaming.net opens up a new mobile division to focus strictly on mobile gaming]. Droidgamers.com October 2015. Retrieved September 2016
- DEAN TAKAHASHI Wargaming shuts down its WG Cells mobile studio. Venturebeat.com August 25, 2016. Retrieved September 2016
- wargamingchicagobaltimore Wargaming Chicago-Baltimore wargamingchicagobaltimore.com 2014. Retrieved September 2016
- gamasutra.com Wargaming Joins Forces with Melesta Games. gamasutra.com May 11, 2015. Retrieved September 2016
- Wargaming World of Warplanes Soars to Release. World of Warplanes August 2013. Retrieved September 2016
- Emily Gera World of Tanks Blitz launches globally on iOS June 26.Polygon June 2014. Retrieved September 2016
- Aldrin Calimlim Wargaming deploys World of Tanks Generals card battle game on iOS. Appadvice.com November 2015. Retrieved September 2016
- Reuben Waters World of Warships Launching on September 17. TenTonHammer September 2015. Retrieved September 2016
- Mike Suszek World of Tanks to blast Xbox 360 on February 12. Engadget.com April 2014. Retrieved September 2016
- Massive Assault rating from Gamerankings
- Massive Assault rating from Metacritic
- Massive Assault Network rating from Gamerankings
- Massive Assault Network rating from Metacritic
- Massive Assault:Domination rating from Gamerankings
- Massive Assault:Domination rating from Metacritic
- Massive Assault Network 2 rating from Gamerankings
- Massive Assault Network 2 rating from Metacritic
- Galactic Assault: Prisoner of Power rating from Gamerankings
- Galactic Assault: Prisoner of Power rating from Metacritic
- NZONE Order of War. nvidia.ca September 2009. Retrieved September 2016
- Order of War rating from Gamerankings
- Order of War rating from Metacritic
- Order of War: Challenge rating from Gamerankings
- Order of War: Challenge rating from Metacritic
- World of Tanks rating from Gamerankings
- World of Tanks rating from Metacritic
- "Release News | General News". World of Warplanes. September 26, 2013. Retrieved October 29, 2013.
- Clement Renaudin After a lengthy soft launch, fling-em-up Smash Squad is out worldwide on iOS. pocketgamer.co.uk June 2016. Retrieved September 2016
- "Master of Orion". Game Rankings.com. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- "Master of Orion". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- Harkonnen WG LABS NEW GAME: HYBRID WARS. The Daily Bounce August 2016. Retrieved September 2016
- World of Warships Now in Open Beta
- MCV Wargaming Reveals WG Labs. mcvuk.com July 2015. Retrieved September 2016
- Jessica Famularo Blastoff! Master Of Orion Leaves Early Access. rockpapershotgun.com August 2016. Retrieved September 2016
- CrsNews. Wargaming.net to Implement Global Access Service to All in MMO War Series. Curse.com June 2013.Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- Simon Priest. Wargaming.net unveils unified account system, "direct access to all" MMOs. Strategyinformer.com May 2013. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- David Hollingworth. Wargaming.net announces unified gaming service, and World of Battleships trailer. Pcauthority.com.au June 2012. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- Shawn Schuster.Wargaming's Unified Premium Account goes live. Massively.joystiq.com August 2013. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- Unified Premium Account System. Eu.wargaming.net. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- The Language of Monetization Design. Gamasutra.com March 2013. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- Wargaming ID is Now Live on Our Forums. Worldoftanks.com January 2013. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- Wargaming.net Portal Improvements. Worldoftanks.com May 2013. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- Wargaming Announces Unified Premium Account System. Gamasutra.com May 2013. Retrieved September 23, 2013.
- Samit Sarkar Wargaming.net League announced for World of Tanks competitive play with $2.5M prize pool. Polygon February 2013. Retrieved September 2016
- Russian Kubinka Tank Museum to Restore Maus Super-Heavy Tank Together with Wargaming. Gamershell.com. April 2014. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- "Wargaming to Help Recreate the Legendary Maus". Mmorpg.com. World of Tanks News. April 2014. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Wargaming and RAF Museum Announce Dornier 17 Final Resting Place. Piratesahoy.net. May 2014. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Wargaming to Sponsor Education Center at the Tank Museum in Bovington, England. Worldoftanks.com. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Wargaming.net Celebrates National Military Appreciation Month with Charity Drive.Gamepolitics.com. May 2013. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Wargaming America to Bring History Alive with Virtual Ship Battles aboard the USS IOWA. Pacificbattleship.com. June 2012.
- Wargaming.net Teams up with The Tank Museum at Bovington. Worldoftanks.eu. June 2014. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Wargaming West - Rolling Out for Charity - this weekend!. Forum.worldoftanksxbox360edition.com. October 2013. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Grace After Fire Charity Stream. Worldoftanks.com. April 2014. Retrieved 2014.
- JEFF GRUBB World of Tanks developer reenacts a 1941 battle for 360-degree video and virtual reality. venturebeat.com September 2015. Retrieved September 2016
- Wargaming.net Plunge into the Heart of Battle with the First Virtual Reality Tank Battle Reenactment. Wargaming.com 2016. Retrieved September 2016
- Wargaming.net World of Tanks and Google Invite You into a Virtual World!. worldoftanks.eu June 2015. Retrieved September 2016
- littlstar.com . littlstar.com. Retrieved September 2016
- littlstar.com . littlstar.com. Retrieved September 2016
- . littlstar.com. Retrieved September 2016
- . littlstar.com. Retrieved September 2016
- . littlstar.com. Retrieved September 2016
- JAMIE FELTHAM RetrievedRetrieved Reveals World of Tanks VR Experience. vrfocus.com June 2015. Retrieved September 2016
- UNDER THE RADAR ‘War Knows No Nation’: WWII in VR. undertheradar.military.com May 2016. retrieved September 2016
- History of War Jutland survivor HMS Caroline comes to life at the National Museum of the Royal Navy. historyanswers.co.uk June 2016. Retrieved September 2016
- appleapple.top The creators of World of Tanks has launched a photo app PortHub with augmented reality.appleapple.top July 2016. Retrieved September 2016
- VR Focus On Set with Wargaming's Virtually Inside the Warships 360 Filming. vrfocus FEBRUARY 10, 2016. Retrieved September 2016
- PhoeniX_Arseny.Белорусская компания Wargaming.net получила престижную премию на КРИ 2009. Maxigame.by май 2009. Архивировано из первоисточника September 18, 2013.
- IGN Staff. Wargaming.net Wins Best KRI 2010 Game Developer Award from Critics in Russia. Ign.com May 2010. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- КРИ 2011. Обзор от Goha.ru. Worldoftanks.ru May 2011. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- Suzie Ford. World of WarPlanes News Wargaming.net Scores Big Awards at Russian GDC. Mmorpg.com May 2012. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- Jef Reahard. World of Tanks claims Golden Joystick's best MMO award. Massively.joystiq.com October 2012. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- Jef Reahard. Massively's E3 2012 awards and impressions. Massively.joystiq.com June 2012. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- Paolo Davide. MMORPGITALIA Editor's Choice Awards 2011. Mmorpgitalia.it January 2012. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- World of Tanks has won a total of 3 MMO of the Year awards. Mmooftheyear.com 2013. Retrieved September 18, 2013.