|KL118/Merdeka PNB 118|
|Former names||KL118, Heritage of Independence, Menara Warisan Merdeka, PNB Headquarters|
Housing Properties Hotel
|Location||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Height||682 m (2,238 ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Developer||Permodalan Nasional Bhd.|
Merdeka PNB 118, formerly known as KL118 or Warisan Merdeka (English: Heritage of Independence), (Jawi: واريثن مرديکا ), is a 118-storey, 682-metre (2,238-foot) megatall skyscraper currently under construction in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
When completed in 2019, the tower will be the tallest building in Malaysia and the third tallest in the world. It will consist of 400,000 square metres (4,300,000 square feet) of residential, hotel and commercial space. It will exceed the height of the 88 storey Petronas Twin Towers.
The building will consist of 100 storeys of rentable space, including 80 storeys of office space, 12 storeys of hotel rooms, 5 storeys of hotel residences and a retail business center. The non-rentable space consists of elevators, recreational and maintenance facilities, as well as parking spaces for up to 5,000 cars. 60 out of the 80 storeys of office space will be reserved for Permodalan Nasional Berhad (PNB), the developer of the project, and its subsidiaries.
The tower is sited at Petaling Hill, a low-density hill directly southeast of the historic Kuala Lumpur old town, on the location of the former Merdeka Park (which was subsequently repurposed into an open-air car park). The site lies within the vicinity of a number of historic landmarks with little modern development: Independence-era sporting venues including the Merdeka Stadium, the National Stadium and the Chin Woo Stadium, the pre-war school grounds of the Methodist Boys' School and Victoria Institution and the stalled Plaza Rakyat project (across the Ampang Line). The KL118 development, when completed, will also have access to the newly built MRT Sungai Buloh-Kajang Line excavated underneath the southern end of Kuala Lumpur old town.
The tower is to create a memorable new landmark for Kuala Lumpur. The design resemble Tunku Abdul Rahman's right hand raised during the Merdeka Proclamation with an unclenched fist to signify the peaceful nature of the nation's struggle for its independence. It will contain a shopping complex, offices, and residential areas.
Permodalan Nasional Bhd shortlisted six groups for various construction jobs such as UEM Group Bhd-Samsung, IJM Corp Bhd-Norwest Holdings Sdn Bhd- Shimizu Corp, Malaysian Resources Corp Bhd-China State Construction Engineering Corp, WCT Bhd-Arabtec Construction LLC, TSR Capital Bhd-Daewoo Group, and Seacera Group Bhd-Spaz Sdn Bhd-Sinohydro Corp-Shanghai Construction Group. These companies submitted their bids by January 28, 2015.
On 23 November 2015, PNB announced a contract worth RM 3.4 Billion has been awarded to the joint venture of South Korea’s Samsung C&T and UEM Group Bhd.
Many have criticised this project, claiming that it is wasteful and the RM5 billion funds could have been used for other causes like healthcare or education.
As of September 2016, piling work has been completed and above ground work is about to commence.
- List of buildings with 100 floors or more
- List of tallest buildings in Kuala Lumpur
- Azerbaijan Tower
- Baoneng Shenyang Global Financial Center
- China Zun
- Gezhouba International Plaza
- India Tower
- Jeddah Tower
- Suzhou IFS
- World One
- Super User. "PTLM - Malaysia's Leading Property Industry News Site - Syed Mokhtar plans new 110-storey skyscraper in Jalan Sultan Ismail". ptlm.com.my.
- "Warisan Merdeka". CTBUH. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- "Warisan Merdeka, Kuala Lumpur - Building 1221285 - EMPORIS". Emporis. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "KL118 Tower - The Skyscraper Center". skyscrapercenter.com.
- PM: 118-storey Warisan Merdeka to generate economic opportunities for all. TheStar.com.my
- RM500bil Warisan Merdeka will be country’s new landmark. TheStar.com.my
- "Business". NST Online.
- "New PNB skyscraper to meet the demand for space - Daily Express Newspaper Online, Sabah, Malaysia.". dailyexpress.com.my.
- "Underground jewels for the Klang Valley MRT - Features - The Star Online". thestar.com.my.
- "Pintaras shares up after bagging RM74mil Warisan Merdeka job - Business News - The Star Online". thestar.com.my.
- Sharen (2014-12-05). "Six in the running". NST Online. Retrieved 2015-09-22.
- Joakim Persson (11 October 2015). "PAnother big KONE order in Malaysia". ScanAsia.com. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Zainul, Intan Farhana (23 November 2015). "PNB confirms RM3.4b Menara KL118 contract awarded". The Star. Retrieved 23 November 2015.