Warkworth is a community in the Canadian province of Ontario in the county of Northumberland. The village of Warkworth (Incorporated 1857), formerly named Percy Mills (1851 Census), is part of the municipality of Trent Hills, formed in 2001.
The village features the historic Town Hall, now the Centre for the Arts. The village has Percy Centennial Public School, a community nursing home, medical centre and a seniors' residence. The town rink is also a primary centre of social interaction, historically serving hockey, (capturing 11 Provincial titles, most recently in 1993–1994) and ringette players as well as curlers. The village has a vital cultural life of live theatre and music and is home to many accomplished artists, and artisans. A historical plaque honouring local artist J.D. Kelly is located just outside the village centre.
A medium-security federal penitentiary, the Warkworth Institution, is located 8 km east of the village.
Warkworth hosts many significant special events which attract many thousands of tourists, including the annual Maple Syrup Festival in March, Warkworth Art in the Park on the Victoria Day weekend in May (www.warkworthartinthepark.ca), Perfect Pie Contest, Lilac Festival, the Warkworth Western Weekend, the Percy Agricultural Fall Fair, one of Eastern Ontario's largest truck shows, the Warkworth Truck Show, the Donnybrook, studio, house and garden tours, and the famous Long Lunch in August. And new in 2014, Sunday Drive presents Warkworth, 16-day arts festival that presents the work of artists chosen by artist-run centres, collectives and alternative exhibitors that typically operate in metropolitan areas.
The Warkworth hockey team has won 11 provincial titles, most recently in 1993–1994.
- Derek Lynch, race car driver
- Tom McCamus, actor
- Chick Reid, actor
- Sir Nicholas Dewdney, scholar
- Rawle Johnson, artist
- Clive Leslie Russell, artist
- Gibson, Jennifer, et al. A Year in the Life of Warkworth Belleville, Ontario: Essence Publishing, 2005. (ISBN 1-55306-969-2)
- ed. by George M. Grant Reflections of Percy Township Warkworth, Ontario : Warkworth-Percy Historical Society, c2000. (ISBN 0968735606 paperback)
- Warkworth.ca Warkworth Business Association
- Municipality of Trent Hills Official site
- Trent Hills & District Chamber of Commerce
|This Ontario location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|