Warley West (UK Parliament constituency)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Former Borough constituency|
for the House of Commons
|Major settlements||Oldbury, Rowley Regis and Cradley Heath|
|Number of members||One|
Halesowen & Rowley Regis
|Created from||Oldbury and Halesowen|
Warley West was a parliamentary constituency in the borough of Sandwell in the West Midlands of England. It was initially centred on the towns of Rowley Regis and Cradley Heath, and from 1983 also incorporated parts of Oldbury.
The bulk of Warley West, namely the area around Oldbury, became part of the new Warley constituency, while the area around Rowley Regis and Cradley Heath was absorbed into the new Halesowen and Rowley Regis constituency, which is split between two local authorities (Dudley and Sandwell). Meanwhile, the Tividale section of the constituency (previously split between Dudley and Rowley Regis and Tipton), was incorporated into West Bromwich West.
1974-1983: The County Borough of Warley wards of Cradley Heath, Langley, Old Hill and Blackheath, Rounds Green, Rowley, St Paul's, and Tividale.
1983-1997: The Borough of Sandwell wards of Blackheath, Cradley Heath and Old Hill, Langley, Oldbury, Rowley, and Tividale.
Members of Parliament
|Feb 1974||Peter Archer||Labour|
Elections in the 1970s
|Liberal||F. M. Fisher||2,864||6.64|
Elections in the 1980s
|SDP–Liberal Alliance||A.G. Baines||7,485||19.31|
|SDP–Liberal Alliance||Elaine Todd||6,027||14.96|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||E Todd||4,945||11.7||3.3|
Notes and references
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "W" (part 1)
- "Election Data 1983". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Election Data 1987". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Election Data 1992". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 2010-12-06.