Warped Tour 1996
|North American tour by Warped Tour|
Warped Tour 1996 logo
|Start date||July 4, 1996|
|End date||August 8, 1996|
|No. of shows||24|
|Warped Tour concert chronology|
Warped Tour 1996 was the 2nd edition of the Vans Warped Tour, and the first Warped Tour to be sponsored by Vans. The 24-date tour began on July 4, 1996 in Phoenix, Arizona and ended August 8, 1996 in Panama City, Florida.
The tour featured a main stage and a second stage, on which bands alternated so that as one band finished playing, the band on the other stage would begin. The band lineups and running orders on the two stages differed between dates. Some shows also featured a third stage with additional bands. All shows were held in outdoor venues with the exception of the show in Washington DC. The show was originally scheduled for Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD but due to issues with the venue, the show was moved at the last minute to the much smaller The Capitol Ballroom nightclub. It was the only time the tour in its history was held indoors. The tour headliners included Fishbone, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, NOFX, Pennywise, and Rocket from the Crypt.
This was the first Warped Tour for The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, NOFX, Pennywise, and Blink-182, all of which played on multiple future Warped Tours. According to tour founder Kevin Lyman, the addition of punk bands such as NOFX and Pennywise helped establish the tour as a "credible" punk festival, thus making it more successful than the first year's eclectic lineup. A 2011 Warped Tour retrospective article in the Dallas Observer deemed the 1996 lineup one of the four best ever Warped Tour lineups in its 17-year history up to that point.
Lyman sought a sponsor after promoters refused to pay for the tour in its second year because the first edition of the tour the year before had not made money. After a planned meeting with Calvin Klein was delayed by a blizzard, he received a call from Vans who wanted to launch an amateur skateboarding contest at the festival. Lyman, who was "desperate for money to keep the tour going", convinced them to sponsor the tour for $300,000. Vans later gave Lyman an additional $100,000 to buy back merchandising rights to the tour that he had already sold to another company. With the sponsorship, Lyman said that the tour "just survived the second year" and "paid everyone back from the first year."
- The Alkaholiks
- Blink 182
- Dance Hall Crashers
- Dick Dale
- Down By Law
- Face To Face
- The Figgs
- The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
- Reel Big Fish
- Rocket From the Crypt
- Unwritten Law
- White Kaps
- The Meices
- Waddell, Roy (2015-07-31). "Vans Warped Tour Founder Kevin Lyman Reflects on 20th Anniversary: 'I Love It When People Talk Sh-t About Me'". Billboard. Lynne Segall. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- Templeton, Kevin; Gitzel, Rodney (1996-07-25). "Punk-o-Rama!! The Vans Warped Tour '96: The Plaza of Nations, Vancouver, B.C., Wednesday, July 10, 1996". Drop-D. Drop-D Digital Publishing Inc. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- Kronick, Ilana (1996-07-29). "Punk-rock a winner at Blue Bonnets: 15,000 take in Vans Warped Tour '96". The Gazette. Montreal, Quebec. p. E4 – via ProQuest. (Subscription required (. ))
- Pareles, Jon (1996-08-05). "Playing Loud and Fast, for Seven Hours Straight". The New York Times. New York City. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- McLennan, Scott (1996-10-27). "The Mighty Mighty Bosstones Have High Hopes For Their Big Rig Project". Telegram & Gazette. Worcester, Massachusetts. p. 3 – via ProQuest. (Subscription required (. ))
- Warped Tour (2009-08-04). "'95-'15 Vans Warped Tour Posters: A Look Back on Warped With Posters From the History of the Vans Warped Tour, 1995- 2015: 1996 Vans Warped Tour Poster". Flickr.com. Warped Tour. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- Grubbs, Eric (2011-06-21). "Looking Back at the Best and Worst Lineups Seen in Warped Tour's 17 Years of Existence". Dallas Observer. Dallas, Texas. Retrieved 2016-01-28.
- Robison, Greg (2009). Monster Music Festivals: Vans Warped Tour. New York City: The Rosen Publishing Group. p. 13. ISBN 978-1404217546.