Warragul railway station
Eastbound view, towards Bairnsdale, in July 2018
|Location||Alfred Street, Warragul|
|Distance||99.67 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||2 (1 island)|
|Fare zone||Myki Zone 6/7 Overlap|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||1 March 1878|
Warragul railway station is located on the Gippsland line, in Victoria, Australia. It serves the town of Warragul, and opened on 1 March 1878. It was the junction station for the branch line to Neerim South and Noojee, which closed in 1958.
The line between Pakenham to Warragul was duplicated in various stages between 1952 and 1956, and was electrified in 1954. Starting from 15 February 1987, and lasting until December 1998, the station was the terminus of a number of The Met/PTC electric passenger services from Flinders Street. The line was de-electrified beyond Warragul on 28 June 1987, and the overhead support structures were removed in 2005/2006, as part of the Regional Fast Rail project.
The former "A" siding was abolished in 1988, along with alterations to points, signals and levers. Also during 1988, the double line block system between Warragul and Yarragon was abolished, with automatic three position signalling introduced. This introduction also resulted in the abolition of signal boxes "A" and "B".
The tracks in the former yard are now used as storage for concrete sleepers, old and new signals, and rail machines. Tracks on the northern side of the station were moved slightly, to reduce the radius of curves, and allow trains to travel at higher speed.
The station itself was upgraded in 2015. It included a new car park and a bus interchange, a new footbridge next to the Alfred Street overpass and a new road underpass at Normanby Place, located at the Down end of the station.
Platforms & services
- "Warragul". Vicsig. Retrieved 2015-12-18.
- Stephen McLean (May 1987). "Timetable Changes and Carriage Working". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. p. 138.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. September 1987. p. 284.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. August 1988. p. 252.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. November 1988. p. 347.
- "All aboard at Warragul Station—precinct upgrade now complete". The Hon Warren Truss. Retrieved 2018-07-22.
- Traralgon - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Bairnsdale - Melbourne timetable Public Transport Victoria