This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Benbow in 2011
|Born||December 22, 1954|
New York City, New York, United States
|Associated acts||James Blood Ulmer, Odyssey|
Warren Benbow (born December 22, 1954, in New York City) is a drummer who has worked with Nina Simone, Jimmy Owens, Larry Willis, Eddie Gómez, Olu Dara, Michael Urbaniak, Teruo Nakamura, and was an original member of James Blood Ulmer's band 'Odyssey'.
At the High School of Performing Arts, Benbow studied drums and percussion with Warren Smith and Morris Goldenburg of the New York Philharmonic. Later at Mannes College he studied with Walter Rosenberger, also of the Phil, and with Dong Wong Park.
While studying in the Jazzmobile with Freddie Waits and Albert “Tootie” Heath Benbow was introduced by Waits to jazz vocalist Betty Carter, and his career as a professional drummer began. He toured with Ulmer and played on Ulmer's albums Odyssey, Bloody Guitar, Part Time, Live At The Caravan Of Dreams, and Reunion. In addition to his jazz work, he has also worked on Broadway, and has also worked in pop with Whitney Houston, Gwen Guthrie, LL Cool J, SWV, and Mary J. Blige.
In 2011 Benbow toured Europe with Ulmer's reformed band, 'Odyssey'.
with Luther Thomas
- yo' Momma (Moers Music)
With James Blood Ulmer
- Odyssey (Columbia, 1983)
- Part Time (Rough Trade, 1984)
- Live at the Caravan of Dreams (Caravan of Dreams, 1985)
- Reunion (Knitting Factory, 1998) - as Odyssey the Band
- Back in Time (Pi, 2005) - as Odyssey the Band
- Blues Odyssey (American Revelation Music, 2010)
With Larry Willis
- Inner Crisis (Groove Merchant, 1973)
- Warren Benbow, allaboutjazz.com
- "Drummer reunites with Ulmer" allaboutjazz.com, May 2005
- James Blood Ulmer discography
|This article on an American jazz drummer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|