Warren Fernandez is the editor of The Straits Times. He has been a journalist with The Straits Times since 1990. He was previously the deputy editor and also the foreign editor of The Straits Times, before leaving the paper in late 2008 to take up the post of Regional Director for Global Communications Strategy in Shell’s Asia Pacific Hub in 2008. Warren Fernandez rejoined The Straits Times on 6 February 2012, and assumed the editorship of the paper on 15 February 2012.
Warren Fernandez had his education at Saint Joseph's Institution, Singapore and Hwa Chong Junior College. He is a Politics, Philosophy and Economics graduate of Trinity College, University of Oxford and has a master's degree in Public Administration from the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. He was the first recipient of the Singapore Press Holdings' Undergraduate Scholarship in 1987 and the first SPH Master's Scholarship holder in 1999.
Warren Fernandez has written on political and social issues related to Singapore and the wider world.
Warren Fernandez is also the author of several books, including Lee Kuan Yew: The Man and His Ideas, Without Fear or Favour: 50 years of the Public Service Commission, Thinking Allowed: Politics, Fear and Change in Singapore, and most recently, Men for Others.
In 2013, Fernandez was given a stern warning by the Singapore police for conducting and publishing a Singaporean general election, 2011 exit poll in The Straits Times during the stipulated blackout period.
- Lead Your Life: Eight Respected Singaporeans Reflect on Leadership, Labour and Love (2012, St. Joseph's Institution by the Straits Times Press) ISBN 9789814342186
- Our Homes: 50 Years of Housing A Nation (2011, Housing and Development Board by the Straits Times Press) ISBN 9789814266741
- Men for Others: A Portrait of the Josephian Over the Years (2009, St. Joseph's Institution by the Straits Times Press) ISBN 9789814266192
- Thinking Allowed?: Politics, Fear and Change in Singapore (2004, SNP Editions) ISBN 9812480617
- Without Fear or Favour: 50 Years of Singapore's Public Service Commission (2001, Public Service Commission by Times Media) ISBN 9812323481
- Lee Kuan Yew: The Man and His Ideas (co-author; 1997, 1998, Singapore Press Holdings, Times Editions) ISBN 9812040498
- "Warren Fernandez to take over as ST editor from Feb 15". The Edge. 29 November 2011. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- Alex, Pareene (17 April 2008). "Laid Off? Move to Singapore!". Gawker. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- Tan, Jeanette (20 June 2013). "SPH, ST editor Warren Fernandez given 'stern warning' for Punggol East exit poll". Yahoo. Yahoo Singapore. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Warren Fernandez at Singapore Institute of International Affairs". Retrieved December 25, 2010.
- "The Straits Times welcomes its new editor in February".
|This Singaporean biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|