Warren G. Phillips
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Warren G. Phillips
|Known for||National Teachers Hall of Fame |
Sing Along Science
Science Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites
The Science Secret, a school musical
Warren G. Phillips (born 1954) is an American science teacher who was inducted into the National Teachers Hall of Fame in 2010. He conducts brain-based STEM professional development for teachers based on his book Science Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites, which he co-authored with Marcia Tate. He also recorded and produced the Sing-A-Long Science series of CDs. These songs serve as the basis for the musical The Science Secret. In 2020, he published the book Oh, The Lives You'll Change! A Teacher's Story.
Phillips taught science for the Plymouth Public Schools in Plymouth, Massachusetts from 1975 to 2010, and for Silver Lake Schools in Kingston, Massachusetts from 2011 to 2016. As a middle school science teacher, he organized a three-day outdoor education trip for all Plymouth seventh graders for 25 years. He helped obtain grants to establish and maintain a TV studio within the school. His classes initiated and organized a recycling program for Plymouth Schools. He was a contributing writer for the Prentice-Hall Science Explorer series and has written curriculum for Northeastern University’s Project SEED and the Plymouth Public Schools science curriculum. He is a board certified teacher by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS). In 2008, he received an Earthwatch fellowship to study elephant behavior at Tsavo East National Park in Kenya.
Phillips was selected as national winner of the Time/Chevrolet Teacher of the Year in 2002. He was selected as the Disney Middle School Teacher of The Year in 2004. He made a guest appearance on the Tony Danza Show in Fall 2004. Phillips was selected to the USA Today All-USA Teaching Team in 2006. He was selected a finalist in Massachusetts in 2001, 2002, and 2003 for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching Math and Science. Phillips won the PBS Teachers Innovation Award in 2010.
Since 2005, Phillips has traveled around the country doing keynote speeches and teacher professional development for Developing Minds, Inc., Bridgewater State University, Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence, and local school districts. He is past president of the nonprofit STEP Foundation, which has funded an observatory, established teaching awards, and supported students and teachers in science endeavors. Phillips currently[when?] works as outreach coordinator for the Pegasus Springs Education Collective,a nonprofit dedicated to improving education. 
Phillips is co-author with Marcia Tate of the teaching strategies book Science Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites. Phillips is also the author of the teaching guidebook Oh, The Lives You'll Change! A Teacher's Story.
- Oh, The Lives You'll Change! A Teacher's Story. Sing Along Science Publisher, Warren G. Phillips (2020) ISBN 978-0-578-73251-0
- 100 Brain-Friendly Lessons For Unforgettable Teaching and Learning K-8. Corwin Press, Marcia L. Tate, Lisa Lee, Simone Willingham, Deborah Daniel, and Warren G. Phillips (2020) ISBN 978-1-5443-8157-2
- 100 Brain-Friendly Lessons For Unforgettable Teaching and Learning 9-12. Corwin Press, Marcia L. Tate, Lisa Lee, Victoria Hanabury, Deborah Daniel, and Warren G. Phillips (2020) ISBN 978-1-5443-8156-5
- Science Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites 20 Instructional Strategies That Engage The Brain. Corwin Press, Marcia L. Tate & Warren G. Phillips (2011) ISBN 978-1-4129-7847-7
- Today I Made A Difference. Adams Media, Joseph W. Underwood, editor (2009) ISBN 978-1-59869-834-3
- Exemplary Science In Grades 5-8, Standards-based Success Stories. NSTA Press, Robert E Yeager, editor (2006) ISBN 0-87355-262-8
- Science Explorer Cells And Heredity. Prentice-Hall, Donald Cronkite, Ph.D. (2002) ISBN 0-13-054064-1
- Sing-A-Long Science. 3 CDs of Science Songs (Original, The Sequel, The Second Sequel), Disc Makers (1999, 2001, 2002)
- The Science Secret A science Glee-like musical using Sing-A-Long Science songs. Independent publishers (2011)
- "Warren G. Phillips - National Teachers Hall Of Fame Induction 2010". YouTube. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "Warren Phillips « The National Teacher Hall of Fame". www.nthf.org.
- "Bridgewater" (PDF). www.wphillips.com. 2007.
- "Innovation Challenge Gallery". Pbs.org. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- "Green Team winner" (PDF). www.wphillips.com. June 12, 2008.
- "Time For Kids 2002 advertisement" (PDF). www.wphillips.com.
- "DisneyHand Teacher Award" (PDF). www.wphillips.com.
- "JEFFREY THOMPSON OF FORT LEWIS, WASH., NAMED 2004 DISNEYHAND TEACHER OF THE YEAR". The Walt Disney Company. July 26, 2004. Retrieved November 14, 2015.
- "Tony Danza Appearance". YouTube. Retrieved August 18, 2016.
- "Students have a day off, teachers SOAR - starherald.com: News". starherald.com. February 21, 2011. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- firstname.lastname@example.org, Rich Harbert. "STEP FOUNDATION: New observatory honors late Plymouth planetarium director".
- Harbert, Rich. "STEP FOUNDATION: Palagi, Ring win grants for making learning fun".
- "Science Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites: 20 Instructional Strategies That Engage the Brain: Marcia L. Tate: 9781412978477". Corwin. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- "Today I Made a Difference". AdamsMediaStore.com. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Diary" (PDF). www.wphillips.com.[self-published source?]
This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (August 2022)
- Bridgewater Magazine Winter 2007 http://www.wphillips.com/BridgewaterArticle.pdf
- National Teachers Hall of Fame http://www.nthf.org/warren-phillips
- Mr. Phillips' Science & Service Learning Page http://www.wphillips.com/
- USA Today article by John Zaremba 1/29/2007 https://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2007-01-28-teacher-phillips_x.htm
- Education World® Article by Cara Bafile 05/06/2008 http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/teacher_feature/teacher_feature180.shtml
- Sing Along Science http://www.singalongscience.com
- Old Colony Memorial article by Bernie Beck Thu Jun 12, 2008, http://www.wphillips.com/Recycle/Green%20Team%20article%2008.pdf PCIS Green Team A Grand Prize Winner