Warren G. Phillips
Warren G. Phillips
|Known for||National Teachers Hall of Fame |
Sing Along Science
Science Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites
The Science Secret, a school musical
Warren G. Phillips is a science teacher inducted into the National Teachers Hall of Fame in Emporia, Kansas, in 2010. He conducts brain-based STEM professional development for teachers around the country based upon the book Science Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites, which he co-authored with Marcia Tate. Phillips has also recorded and produced three CD’s of Science Songs entitled Sing-A-Long Science teaching the science standards. From these songs, he developed a musical entitled The Science Secret.
In 2004, from 39 Disney teachers nationwide, Warren was selected as the Disney Middle School Teacher of The Year. He made a guest appearance on the Tony Danza Show in Fall 2004. In 2005, Phillips was selected as a contestant on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. He was selected as national winner of the Time/Chevrolet Teacher of the Year in 2002 and won a Chevy Malibu as grand prize winner. Warren was selected to the USA Today All-USA Teaching Team in 2006. He was selected a finalist in Massachusetts in 2001, 2002, and 2003 for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching Math and Science.
He is co-author with Marcia Tate in a book about teaching strategies entitled Science Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites.  Warren is also the author of a teaching guidebook called Oh, The Lives You'll Change! A Teacher's Story.
Since 2005, Phillips has traveled around the country doing keynote speeches and teacher professional development for Developing Minds,inc, Bridgewater State University, Blue Ribbon Schools of Excellence, and local school districts. He is past president of the STEP Foundation, a Not-for-Profit (501.c.3) foundation of citizens, supporting Science and Technology. The STEP Foundation has funded an Observatory, established Creative Teacher Awards, and supported students and teachers in science endeavors. Warren currently works as outreach coordinator for a nonprofit dedicated to improving education called Pegasus Springs Education Collective 
Warren Phillips taught science for 35 years for the Plymouth Public Schools in Plymouth, Massachusetts,(1975-2010) and an additional 5 years at Silver Lake Schools in Kingston, MA.(2011-2016) As a middle school science teacher, he organized a three-day outdoor education trip for all Plymouth seventh graders for 25 years. He helped obtain grants to establish and maintain a TV studio within the school. His classes initiated and organized a recycling program for Plymouth Schools. He was a contributing writer for the Prentice-Hall Science Explorer series and has written curriculum for Northeastern University’s Project SEED and the Plymouth Public Schools science curriculum. He is a board certified teacher by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS). In 2008, he received an Earthwatch fellowship to study elephant behavior at Tsavo East National Park in Kenya. Phillips has a B.A. in Earth Sciences, an M.A.T. in Teaching Physical Sciences and an M. ED. in Instructional Technology from Bridgewater State University in Bridgewater, Mass.
Warren is the son of Joseph E. and Eleanore M. Phillips. He is married to his high school girlfriend, Karen E.(Friberg) and has two children: Jeff, who is a family doctor and Kristin, who works with Cape Abilities. He enjoys spending time with family, playing music (keyboard and guitar), biking, hiking, and gardening.
- Oh, The Lives You'll Change! A Teacher's Story Sing Along Science Publisher, Warren G. Phillips 2020 ISBN 978-0-578-73251-0
- 100 Brain-Friendly Lessons For Unforgettable Teaching and Learning K-8 Corwin Press, Marcia L.Tate, Lisa Lee, Simone Willingham, Deborah Daniel, and Warren G. Phillips 2020 ISBN 978-1-5443-8157-2
- 100 Brain-Friendly Lessons For Unforgettable Teaching and Learning 9-12 Corwin Press, Marcia L.Tate, Lisa Lee, Victoria Hanabury, Deborah Daniel, and Warren G. Phillips 2020 ISBN 978-1-5443-8156-5
- Science Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites 20 Instructional Strategies That Engage The Brain. Corwin Press, Marcia L.Tate & Warren G. Phillips 2011 ISBN 978-1-4129-7847-7
- Today I Made A Difference. Adams Media, Joseph W. Underwood, editor 2009 ISBN 978-1-59869-834-3
- Exemplary Science In Grades 5-8, Standards-based Success Stories. NSTA Press,Robert E Yeager,editor 2006 ISBN 0-87355-262-8
- Science Explorer Cells And Heredity. Prentice-Hall, Donald Cronkite,Ph.D. 2002 ISBN 0-13-054064-1
- Sing-A-Long Science. 3 CD's of Science Songs (Original, The Sequel, The Second Sequel),Disc Makers © 1999, 2001, 2002 by Warren Phillips
- The Science Secret A science Glee-like musical using Sing-A-Long Science songs. Independent publishers © Warren Phillips, 2011
- "Warren G. Phillips - National Teachers Hall Of Fame Induction 2010". YouTube. Retrieved 2017-01-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Warren Phillips « The National Teacher Hall of Fame". www.nthf.org.
- "Bridgewater" (PDF). www.wphillips.com. 2007.
- "JEFFREY THOMPSON OF FORT LEWIS, WASH., NAMED 2004 DISNEYHAND TEACHER OF THE YEAR". The Walt Disney Company. 2004-07-26. Retrieved 2015-11-14. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Tony Danza Appearance". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-08-18. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Report" (PDF). www.wphillips.com.
- "Newsletter" (PDF). www.wphillips.com.
- "Science Worksheets Don't Grow Dendrites: 20 Instructional Strategies That Engage the Brain: Marcia L. Tate: 9781412978477". Corwin. Retrieved 2014-05-19. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Today I Made a Difference". AdamsMediaStore.com. Retrieved 2014-05-19. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Students have a day off, teachers SOAR - starherald.com: News". starherald.com. 2011-02-21. Retrieved 2014-05-19. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- email@example.com, Rich Harbert. "STEP FOUNDATION: New observatory honors late Plymouth planetarium director".
- Harbert, Rich. "STEP FOUNDATION: Palagi, Ring win grants for making learning fun".
- "Innovation Challenge Gallery". Pbs.org. Retrieved 2014-05-19. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Green Team winner" (PDF). www.wphillips.com. June 12, 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Warren G. Phillips.|
- Bridgewater Magazine Winter 2007 http://www.wphillips.com/BridgewaterArticle.pdf
- National Teachers Hall of Fame http://www.nthf.org/warren-phillips
- Mr. Phillips' Science & Service Learning Page http://www.wphillips.com/
- USA Today article by John Zaremba 1/29/2007 https://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2007-01-28-teacher-phillips_x.htm
- Education World® Article by Cara Bafile 05/06/2008 http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/teacher_feature/teacher_feature180.shtml
- Sing Along Science http://www.singalongscience.com
- Old Colony Memorial article by Bernie Beck Thu Jun 12, 2008, http://www.wphillips.com/Recycle/Green%20Team%20article%2008.pdf PCIS Green Team A Grand Prize Winner