Warren Township, Jefferson County, Ohio
|Warren Township, Jefferson County, Ohio|
Wooded hills west of Rayland
Location of Warren Township in Jefferson County
|• Total||23.2 sq mi (60.2 km2)|
|• Land||23.2 sq mi (60.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||787 ft (240 m)|
|• Density||193.6/sq mi (74.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086388|
Warren Township is one of the fourteen townships of Jefferson County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 4,499 people in the township, 2,044 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southeastern corner of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Wells Township - north
- Pease Township, Belmont County - south
- Mount Pleasant Township - southwest
- Smithfield Township - northwest
Three villages are located along the Ohio River in southeastern Warren Township:
Name and history
Warren Township was founded in 1802.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Jefferson County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Doyle, Joseph Beatty (1910). 20th Century History of Steubenville and Jefferson County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Richmond-Arnold Publishing Company. p. 478.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.