OC OOnt QC
|Chief Justice of Ontario|
|Preceded by||Roy McMurtry|
|Succeeded by||George Strathy|
|Regional Senior Justice of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice for the Toronto Region|
|Succeeded by||Edward Then|
December 10, 1938 |
Warren Keith Winkler, OC, OOnt, QC (born December 10, 1938) is a Canadian jurist and a former Chief Justice of Ontario. Appointed by Prime Minister Stephen Harper on June 1, 2007, Winkler was previously Regional Senior Judge of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice for the Toronto Region. Winkler reached the mandatory retirement age of 75 on December 10, 2013, and has since retired as the Chief Justice of Ontario. He served as Chair of the Order of Ontario Advisory Council. Mr. Winkler is now a Member Arbitrator at Arbitration Place in Toronto.
Born in Virden, Manitoba, Winkler grew up in Pincher Creek, Alberta. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1959 from the University of Manitoba, a Bachelor of Laws degree in 1962 and a Master of Laws degree in 1964 from the Osgoode Hall Law School. He was called to the Bar of Ontario in 1965 and was created a Queen's Counsel in 1977. He was a partner in the law firm of Winkler, Filion & Wakely and practiced labour law on behalf of management. He was appointed to the Ontario Court of Justice (General Division) in 1993 and appointed Regional Senior Judge for Toronto Region in March 2004. He succeeded Roy McMurtry as Chief Justice in 2007.
Winkler is known as an outspoken critic of the cost and delays in the justice system and has given numerous speeches on this topic.
In 2012, he was awarded an honorary PhD from York University.
On June 30, 2016, Winkler was named an Officer of the Order of Canada by Governor General David Johnston for "his contributions to the advancement of Canadian labour law and for making the justice system more effective and accessible as a former Chief Justice of the Ontario Court of Appeal." 
- "Canadian Who's Who 1997 entry". University of Toronto Press. Retrieved 2007-06-25.
- "Appointment of Chief Justice of Ontario announced". Office of the Prime Minister. Retrieved 2007-06-25.
- "Chief Justice Winkler vs. the Nortel quagmire". Ottawa Citizen.
- "Order of Ontario appointments announced". Newsroom. Government of Ontario. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- Jennifer McPhee. "Winkler shocked to get job as Ontario's top judge". Law Times. Retrieved 2007-06-25.
- "Approximately seven hundred graduands to receive degrees at Brandon University's May 2007 Convocation Ceremonies". Brandon University.
- "Order of Ontario Appointees by year of Appointment". www.citizenship.gov.on.ca. Ministry of Citizenship, Immigration and International Trade. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- Globe and Mail Staff (June 30, 2016). "Canada's Honour Roll". Globe and Mail.
|Chief Justice of Ontario
George R. Strathy
|This Canadian biographical article relating to law is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|