|Date||Late September or early October|
|Established||30 September 1979|
John Kibet 2:08:17
Goitetom Haftu 2:29:32
|Official site||Warsaw Marathon|
The Warsaw Marathon is an annual marathon race, which takes place in the heart of Poland's capital, Warsaw. It's the oldest annual marathon in Poland. It has been held since September 30, 1979. In the first race, the length of the course was just 40.6 kilometres (25.2 mi), and not the normal, classic distance of 42.195 km (26.219 mi).
Warsaw Marathon is organized by Fundacja Maraton Warszawski Non-governmental organization. From 2013 Powszechny Zakład Ubezpieczeń polish insurance company became a title sponsor and the name of the marathon was changed to PZU Warsaw Marathon. The goal for the organizers is to be in top 5 marathon races in the Europe in the next couple of years.
The event takes place in the last Sunday of September. Although the main attraction is the marathon on the last weekend of September there are additional events organized:
- "High Five Race" (5 km race)
- Handbike Marathon
- Activities for children
- Running Seminars
- Sport & Fitness Expo
It is one of two marathons hosted in the city, alongside April's Orlen Warsaw Marathon.
- "PZU became a title sponsor for Warsaw Marathon". pzu.pl (in Polish). 2013-08-28. Retrieved 2015-02-28.
- "Warsaw Marathon wants to be in top 5 Marathon races in Europe". sportowefakty.pl (in Polish). 2014-01-30. Retrieved 2015-02-28.
- September 2013 AIMS results. AIMS. Retrieved on 2013-10-05.
- Wyniki online. 35mw (2013-09-29). Retrieved on 2013-10-05.
- Shorter distance (about 40.6 km)