Saupold with Detroit in 2017
|Hanwha Eagles – No. 44|
|Born: 16 January 1990|
Perth, Western Australia
|MLB: May 14, 2016, for the Detroit Tigers|
|KBO: March 23, 2019, for the Hanwha Eagles|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Earned run average||4.98|
|KBO statistics |
(through July 30, 2019)
|Earned run average||4.39|
Warwick Anthony Saupold (born 16 January 1990), nicknamed "Aussie", is an Australian professional baseball pitcher for the Hanwha Eagles of the KBO League. He previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Detroit Tigers. Saupold has also played all eight seasons of the Australian Baseball League (ABL) with the Perth Heat, and represented Australia in the 2013 and 2017 World Baseball Classics.
Saupold joined the Perth Heat of the Australian Baseball League (ABL) in 2010. In the 2011–12 ABL season, Saupold led the league in innings pitched (70) and posted a 1.41 earned run average, setting an ABL record. Saupold also struck out 53 batters, allowing 43 hits, 22 base on balls, and two home runs. Saupold was invited to the 2011 Australian Baseball League All-Star Game.
In 2012, Saupold signed a minor league contract with the Detroit Tigers. Pitching for the Lakeland Flying Tigers in the Class-A Advanced Florida State League (FSL), Saupold won the deciding game in the FSL championship series. Saupold played for the Australian national baseball team in the 2013 World Baseball Classic. The Tigers promoted Saupold to the Erie SeaWolves of the Double-A Eastern League in 2013. Saupold pitched for Erie in 2014 and 2015. He set the SeaWolves' franchise strikeout record with 275 career strikeouts. During the 2015 season, he received a promotion to the Toledo Mud Hens of the Triple-A International League during the 2015 season.
Saupold was called up by the Detroit Tigers on 13 May 2016. Prior to being promoted, he was 3–1 with a 2.37 ERA and 14 strikeouts in 30 1⁄3 innings for the Toledo Mud Hens. He made his Major League debut for the Tigers the next day in a game against the Baltimore Orioles. On 15 May, Saupold pitched 2 2⁄3 innings of scoreless relief against the Orioles and earned his first Major League win. On 1 June 2016 Saupold was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right groin strain. He finished with a 7.45 ERA in 9 2⁄3.
Saupold began the 2017 season with the Toledo Mud Hens. He was called up to the Tigers on 18 April 2017, but pitched in only two games before being returned to Toledo. He was recalled again on 22 May, following the demotion of Aníbal Sánchez. Saupold logged 62 2⁄3 innings for the 2017 Tigers, posting a 3–2 record with a 4.88 ERA and 44 strikeouts.
Saupold began the 2018 season in the Tigers bullpen. He was credited with his first Major League save when he pitched 2 1⁄3 innings to close out a win over the Kansas City Royals on 21 April. He was designated for assignment on 28 July 2018. After clearing waivers, Saupold was sent outright to the Toledo Mud Hens on 30 July 2018. He elected free agency on 2 November 2018.
- Jason Beck (24 August 2017). "Tigers Players Weekend nicknames explained". MLB.com. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- "John Dudley: Aussie native Saupold thrives with SeaWolves". GoErie.com - Erie, PA. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Warwick Saupold signs with Detroit Tigers". Australian Baseball League News. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Brisbane Bandits well represented in ABL All-star game". The Courier-Mail. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Bases loaded with Heat for All-Stars". The West Australian. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- "Talking Championships with Warwick Saupold - Perth Heat News". Perth Heat. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- Staff Reporter (10 April 2015). "Saupold brings Aussie League championship experience to Erie - Sports - GoErie.com - Erie, PA". GoErie.com. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
- "Saupold sets strikeout record as SeaWolves pound Sea Dogs". GoErie.com - Erie, PA. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- 10:42AM. "Hens end losing streak, top Rochester 2-1". Toledo Blade. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
- "Team Australia's Roster Announced for Sydney Qualifier". Baseball Australia. 6 January 2016. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- Jahnke, James (13 May 2016). "Detroit Tigers call up Australian pitcher, send down Daniel Norris". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- Ginsburg, David (15 May 2016). "Tigers end slide with 6-5 comeback win over Orioles". CBSsports.com. Retrieved 25 May 2016.
- Beck, Jason (1 June 2016). "Tigers place Saupold on DL, recall Parnell". mlb.com. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- Rosener, Ben (22 May 2017). "Detroit Tigers: Warwick Saupold recalled as Anibal Sanchez accepts minor league assignment". motorcitybengals.com. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- "Castellanos lifts Tigers to 12-4 win over Royals". CBSsports.com. 21 April 2018. Retrieved 26 April 2018.
- Downing, Kyle (28 July 2018). "Tigers Claim Josh Smoker, Designate Warwick Saupold". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Tigers' Saupold clears waivers, sent to minors". ESPN.com. Retrieved 26 August 2018.
- Fenech, Anthony; Sipple, George (30 August 2016). "Tigers' minor-leaguer Warwick Saupold charged with assault in Toledo". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 30 August 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Warwick Saupold.|