Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service
|Facilities and equipment|
A new interim Chief Fire Officer Andy Hickmott was appointed in May 2013 following Graeme Smith's retirement. He was in the fire service for 30 years and joined Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service in 2009.
2007 warehouse fire
On 2 November 2007, crews were mobilised to a major fire at a vegetable packing plant operated by Wealmoor Ltd on an industrial estate in the village of Atherstone on Stour. Up to 100 firefighters and five ambulance crews were called to the scene and 16 fire engines were used to tackle the blaze. Part of the structure collapsed under the intensity of the fire.
Four firefighters of the Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service were killed: Ian Reid, who died in hospital, and Ashley Stephens, Darren Yates-Badley, and John Averis whose bodies were recovered from the debris.
In February 2011, it was announced that two Watch Managers and one Station Manager, who were all at one time in command of the incident, were to face charges of manslaughter by gross negligence over the deaths of the men. They were acquitted in May 2012. Warwickshire County Council was charged with failing to ensure safety at work and pleaded guilty at a hearing in Wolverhampton in January 2012. It was fined £30,000 in December 2012.
|Station Callsign||Station Name||Duty System||Appliances|
|FS20||Nuneaton||Wholetime||1x WrL, 1x LRP, 1x L4V, 1x PM for MDU|
|FS21||Bedworth||Retained||1x LRP, 1x SFU|
|FS22||Coleshill||Day Crewed & Retained||1x WrL, 1x WrT, 1x L4V, 2x PM* for: RTCU, FoT, WrC, GPU|
|FS24||Atherstone||Peak Demand & Retained||1x WrL, 1x WrT, 1x BASCV, 1x L4V|
|FS26||Rugby||Wholetime||1x WRL, 1x LRP, 1x WRU, 2x Boats, 2x L4V, 1x LAR|
|FS27||Kenilworth||Retained||1x LRP, 1x FESU|
|FS29||Leamington Spa||Wholetime & Day Crew+||1x WrL, 1x LRP, 1x CSV, 1x ARP, 1x L4V, 1x PM* for WrC|
|FS31||Fenny Compton||Retained||1x WrL|
|FS35||Stratford-upon-Avon||Day Crew+||1x WrL, 1x LRP, 1x PM for HVP DHB, 2x L4V|
|FS37||Alcester||Day Crew+||1x WrL, 1x L4V, 1x EPU*|
|FS41||Gaydon||Peak Demand||1x LRP|
Fire Appliance Glossary/Callsigns
- Water Ladder (WrL): P1/P2
- Light Rescue Pump (LRP) : P3
- Aerial Rescue Pump (ARP): A6
- Small Fires Unit (SFU): L1
- Light 4x4 Vehicle (L4V): M8 / M9
- Large Animal Rescue Unit (LAR): R3
- Water Rescue Unit (WRU): R6
- Command Support Vehicle (CSV) : C1
- Fire & Emergency Support Unit (FESU): T9
- Prime Mover (PM): T1/T2
- Environmental Protection Unit (EPU) : H1
- Foam Tender (FoT)
- General Purpose Unit (GPU)
- Road Traffic Collision Unit (RTCU)
- Water Carrier (WrC)
New Dimension :
- Mass Decon Unit (MDU)
- High Volume Pump (HVP)
- Double Hose Box (DHB)
- List of British firefighters killed in the line of duty
- Warwickshire Police
- West Midlands Ambulance Service
- West Midlands Fire Service
- Warwickshire Fire & Rescue Service Press Release – 50 Years Of The County Fire Service Warwickshire – 24 November 1998
- "Firefighter dies tackling blaze". BBC News. 3 November 2007.
- "Four Firefighters believed dead". BBC News. 3 November 2007. Retrieved 6 January 2010.
- "Fire officers cleared over Atherstone warehouse deaths". BBC News. 30 May 2012. Retrieved 9 June 2012.
- "Charges over Warwickshire firefighters' deaths". BBC News. 28 February 2011.
- "Firefighter warehouse deaths: Warwickshire council pleads guilty". BBC News. 20 January 2012. Retrieved 20 January 2012.
- "Atherstone fire: Warwickshire County Council fined £30,000". BBC News. BBC. 7 December 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2012.