|Population||3,667 (122.8% capacity) (as of July 31, 2022)|
|Managed by||California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation|
The Wasco facility was the first of two reception centers in Kern County. The primary mission is to provide short term housing necessary to process, classify, and evaluate new inmates physically and mentally, to determine their security level, program requirements, and appropriate institutional placement. A 400-bed medium custody facility houses general population inmates to help support and maintain the reception center. A minimum custody facility provides institutional maintenance and landscaping services.
As of July 31, 2022, Wasco was incarcerating people at 122.8% of its design capacity, with 3,667 occupants.
- Kori Ali Muhammad, moved to Kern Valley State Prison
- Edward Younghoon Shin
- Brandon Browner, moved to San Quentin State Prison
- John Getreu, moved to Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility
- "California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation: Monthly Report of Population As of Midnight July 31, 2022" (PDF). California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, Division of Internal Oversight and Research. July 31, 2022. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 5, 2022. Retrieved September 22, 2022.
- CDCR. "CDCR - Wasco State Prison (WSP)". www.cdcr.ca.gov. Archived from the original on 2021-08-07. Retrieved 2021-08-06.
- "Wasco State Prison official webpage". Archived from the original on March 2, 2009. Retrieved 2 March 2009.
- "CDCR Public Inmate Locator Results". Archived from the original on 2022-01-12. Retrieved 2021-03-17.
- "Irvine man sentenced to life without parole for killing his business partner, a Laguna Beach resident". Los Angeles Times. 27 July 2019. Archived from the original on 2019-08-01. Retrieved 2020-01-25.
- "CDCR Public Inmate Locator Disclaimer". Archived from the original on 2022-01-12. Retrieved 2020-01-25.
- Fenno, Nathan (March 16, 2020). "Former Pro Bowl player Brandon Browner is sent to prison for attempted murder". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on 2021-04-20.
- Hicks, Timothy (September 22, 2021). "Rising from the ashes". San Quentin News. Archived from the original on 2022-01-12. Retrieved 2022-01-12.
- Inmate Locator, inmate BR0562
- Wasco State Prison-Reception Center Contact and Visiting Information
- California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation Official website