The dormitory, Cleeve Abbey, Washford
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Police||Avon and Somerset|
|Fire||Devon and Somerset|
Washford is a village on the Washford River in the civil parish of Old Cleeve, Somerset, England. The village is next to Cleeve Abbey, one of the best-preserved medieval monasteries in England. It centred in a valley close to the Bristol Channel on the A39 road 7 miles (11 km) east of the resort town of Minehead and 2 miles (3 km) southwest of the port of Watchet.
Washford railway station is a station on the West Somerset Railway, a steam-operated heritage railway. The station is the headquarters of the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust and contains a number of historic artefacts from the Somerset and Dorset Railway. The village also had a station on the West Somerset Mineral Railway.
Since 1933 there has been a broadcasting station at Washford. The front parts of the old transmitter building are now part of the Tropiquaria wildlife park and house their tropical hall, aquarium, the Washford Radio Museum and the Shadowstring Puppet Theatre.
Washford has a primary school, Old Cleeve Church of England School, which currently educates about 100 three- to nine-year-old children. Washford has a few shops, including a post office and a hairdresser.
The village of Washford has two inns: the Washford Inn and the White Horse Inn, which is a free house.
- Historic England. "Cleeve Abbey (Grade Scheduled Monument) (1014824)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "Old Cleeve Parish". Exmoor National Park. Archived from the original on 21 November 2008. Retrieved 10 October 2008.
- Historic England. "Methodist Chapel (1057523)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- HouseHistoric England. "Abbey Mill (1057537)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Washford.|
- Washford Inn – pub and hotel
- White Horse Inn – pub with accommodation
- Visit Watchet – Tourism – Review of the White Horse Inn/Hotel