Washington's 6th congressional district
|Washington's 6th congressional district|
|U.S. Representative||Derek Kilmer (D–Artondale)|
Washington's 6th congressional district encompasses the Olympic Peninsula, most of the Kitsap Peninsula, and most of the city of Tacoma. The 6th District has been represented in the U.S. House of Representatives by Derek Kilmer, a Democrat from Artondale, since January 2013. He succeeded 36-year incumbent and fellow Democrat Norm Dicks, at the time the dean of the Washington delegation.
Established after the 1930 U.S. Census, the 6th District is a working class district, with many of its jobs provided by tourism and a declining timber industry on the Pacific and Juan de Fuca coasts, and by the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton.
Presidentially, the 6th leans Democratic. It was one of only two districts retained by the Democrats in the Republican wave of 1994.
|Election results from presidential races|
|2016||President||Clinton 51 - 39%|
|2012||President||Obama 56 - 41%|
|2008||President||Obama 57 - 40%|
|2004||President||Kerry 53 - 36%|
|2000||President||Gore 52 - 37|
|1996||President||Clinton 50 - 36%|
|1992||President||Clinton 43 - 31%|
List of representatives
|District created||March 4, 1933|
|Wesley Lloyd||Democratic||March 4, 1933 – January 10, 1936||Died|
|Vacant||January 10, 1936 – January 3, 1937|
|John Main Coffee||Democratic||January 3, 1937 – January 3, 1947|
|Thor Carl Tollefson||Republican||January 3, 1947 – January 3, 1965|
|Floyd Hicks||Democratic||January 3, 1965 – January 3, 1977|
|Norm Dicks||Democratic||January 3, 1977 – January 3, 2013|
|Derek Kilmer||Democratic||January 3, 2013 – present||Gig Harbor||Incumbent|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Washington, 2008
- United States House of Representatives elections in Washington, 2010
- United States House of Representatives elections in Washington, 2012
- "Partisan Voting Index – Districts of the 115th Congress" (PDF). The Cook Political Report. April 7, 2017. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1989). The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1982). The Historical Atlas of United States Congressional Districts. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Congressional Biographical Directory of the United States 1774–present
- Washington State Redistricting Commission
- Find your new congressional district: a searchable map, Seattle Times, January 13, 2012