Washington's 9th congressional district
|Washington's 9th congressional district|
Washington's 9th congressional district encompasses a long, somewhat narrow area in Western Washington through the densely populated central Puget Sound region, from Tacoma in the south to Bellevue in the north. Since 1997, the 9th District has been represented in the U.S. House of Representatives by Adam Smith, a Democrat from Bellevue.
Established after the 1990 U.S. Census, the 9th District was originally drawn as a "fair fight" district. The first representative from the 9th District, Mike Kreidler (D), was defeated after one term by Republican Randy Tate; Tate, in turn, was defeated after one term by Smith. Since being first elected in 1996, Smith's moderate voting record and a strong Democratic trend in the Puget Sound region turned the formerly contentious district into a fairly safe Democratic seat.
In 2011, the state began the process of redistricting in response to population changes determined by the 2010 census. In the final report by the bipartisan redistricting commission issued in January 2012 shifted the 9th District to the north. It now covers Bellevue, Southeast Seattle, and Mercer Island, but only goes as far south as the southern tip of Commencement Bay in Tacoma. As of the 2012 re-districting, it is now a majority-minority district. It is also the second-most Democratic district in the state; only the neighboring 7th District, covering the rest of Seattle, is more Democratic.
|Election results from presidential races|
|1996||President||Clinton 51 - 36%|
|1992||President||Clinton 42 - 31%|
List of representatives
|District created||January 3, 1993|
|103rd||Mike Kreidler||Democratic||January 3, 1993 – January 3, 1995|
|104th||Randy Tate||Republican||January 3, 1995 – January 3, 1997|
|Adam Smith||Democratic||January 3, 1997 – present||Bellevue||Incumbent|
Living former members
As of January 2019[update], there are two living former members.
|Representative||Term of office||Date of birth (and age)|
|Mike Kreidler||1993–1995||September 28, 1943|
|Randy Tate||1995–1997||November 23, 1965|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Washington, 2008
- United States House of Representatives elections in Washington, 2010
- United States House of Representatives elections in Washington, 2012
- United States House of Representatives elections in Washington, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections in Washington, 2016
- United States House of Representatives elections in Washington, 2018
- "Partisan Voting Index – Districts of the 115th Congress" (PDF). The Cook Political Report. April 7, 2017. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Interactive Map at Adam Smith's House website
- Washington State Redistricting Commission
- Find your new congressional district: a searchable map, Seattle Times, January 13, 2012
- Congressional Biographical Directory of the United States 1774–present