Washington, West Sussex
St Mary's Church
|Area||12.76 km2 (4.93 sq mi) |
|Population||1,930  2001 Census|
1,867 (2011 Census)
|• Density||151/km2 (390/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||43 miles (69 km) NNE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
Washington is a village and civil parish in the Horsham District of West Sussex, England. It is located five miles (8 km) west of Steyning and three miles (4.8 km) east of Storrington on the A24 between Horsham and Worthing. The parish covers an area of 1,276 hectares (3,150 acres). In the 2001 census 1,930 people lived in 703 households, of whom 820 were economically active. At the 2011 Census the population of the civil parish was 1,867.
The village lies at the foot of the South Downs escarpment. The Anglican parish church is dedicated to St Mary. There is one pub, the Frankland Arms, a primary school and a village hall with an adjoining sports field. The hamlet named Rock lies to the north of the A283 road.
Chanctonbury Ring, a hill fort based ring of trees atop Chanctonbury Hill on the South Downs, lies on the border of the parish and the neighbouring parish of Wiston. Chanctonbury Hill is a Site of Special Scientific Interest as an uncommon woodland type on a chalk escarpment, providing habitat for many species including the protected Great Crested Newt.
- John Ireland lived in a converted windmill in Washington for the final years of his life and died there.
- "2001 Census: West Sussex – Population by Parish" (PDF). West Sussex County Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 June 2011. Retrieved 12 April 2009.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- "SSSI Citation — Chanctonbury Hill" (PDF). Natural England. Retrieved 4 April 2009.
- Randel, Don Michael (1996). The Harvard Biographical Dictionary of Music. Harvard University Press. p. 407. ISBN 978-0-674-37299-3.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Washington, West Sussex.|