|16th Governor of California|
January 8, 1887 – September 12, 1887
|Preceded by||George Stoneman|
|Succeeded by||Robert Waterman|
|20th Mayor of San Francisco|
January 8, 1883 – January 2, 1887
|Preceded by||Maurice Carey Blake|
|Succeeded by||Edward B. Pond|
|Born||February 29, 1824|
|Died||September 12, 1887 (aged 63)|
Washington Montgomery Bartlett (February 29, 1824 – September 12, 1887) was the 20th mayor of San Francisco, California from 1883 to 1887, and the 16th governor of California. He was the first Jewish governor of any US state and – to date – the only Jewish governor of California. Bartlett converted to Congregationalism upon his death bed and was buried as Christian.
Bartlett was born in Savannah, Georgia in 1824, the son of Sarah E. Melhado and Cosam Emir Bartlett. His mother was a Sephardic Jew. Unlike the second elected Jewish governor, Moses Alexander of Idaho, Bartlett was not particularly religious and did not participate in Jewish observances while in California: His funeral was conducted at the Trinity Episcopal Church in San Francisco.
He was a lifelong bachelor and a printer by trade. During his lifetime Bartlett was a San Francisco newspaper publisher, San Francisco County Clerk, lawyer, California State Senate member, mayor, and finally a governor.
Bartlett's term as governor started and ended in 1887 when he died in office of Bright's disease nine months into his term. His inaugural address after being elected as governor was presented on January 8, 1887.
- "Washington Bartlett". California State Library. Retrieved July 9, 2009.
- "Washington Bartlett: California's Pioneer Jewish Governor". Jewish Museum of the American West.
- Western States Jewish Historical Quarterly July, 1973, page 287
- The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography. IV. James T. White & Company. 1893. p. 113. Retrieved December 3, 2020 – via Google Books.
- "Governor Bartlett". San Francisco Bulletin, San Francisco, California . September 13, 1887.
- "In Peace". San Francisco Examiner. September 13, 1887. p. 1. Retrieved December 3, 2020 – via Newspapers.com.
- Washington Bartlett (January 8, 1887). "Inaugural Address". State of California. Retrieved May 7, 2010. Cite journal requires
|Party political offices|
| Democratic nominee for Governor of California
Edward B. Pond
| Governor of California
Maurice Carey Blake
| Mayor of San Francisco
Edward B. Pond