Washington County, Ohio
|Washington County, Ohio|
Washington County Courthouse
Location in the state of Ohio
Ohio's location in the U.S.
|Founded||27 July, 1788|
|Named for||George Washington|
|• Total||640 sq mi (1,658 km2)|
|• Land||632 sq mi (1,637 km2)|
|• Water||8.0 sq mi (21 km2), 1.3%|
|• Density||98/sq mi (38/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Washington County is a county located in the U.S. state of Ohio. As of the 2010 census, the population was 61,778. Its county seat is Marietta. The county, the oldest in the state, is named for George Washington.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 640 square miles (1,700 km2), of which 632 square miles (1,640 km2) is land and 8.0 square miles (21 km2) (1.3%) is water. It is the fifth-largest county in Ohio by land area.
Washington County's southern and eastern boundary is the Ohio River. The Muskingum River, Little Muskingum River, Duck Creek, and the Little Hocking River flow through the county to the Ohio River.
- Noble County (north)
- Monroe County (northeast)
- Tyler County, West Virginia (east)
- Pleasants County, West Virginia (southeast)
- Wood County, West Virginia (south)
- Athens County (southwest)
- Morgan County (northwest)
- Wayne National Forest (part)
- Boord State Nature Preserve
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 63,251 people, 25,137 households, and 17,671 families residing in the county. The population density was 100 people per square mile (38/km²). There were 27,760 housing units at an average density of 44 per square mile (17/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.33% White, 0.92% Black or African American, 0.24% Native American, 0.43% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.13% from other races, and 0.89% from two or more races. 0.51% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 29.5% were of German, 23.4% American, 12.3% English and 11.0% Irish ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 25,137 households out of which 30.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.90% were married couples living together, 9.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.70% were non-families. 25.40% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the county, the population was spread out with 23.50% under the age of 18, 8.80% from 18 to 24, 27.50% from 25 to 44, 25.10% from 45 to 64, and 15.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 94.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $34,275, and the median income for a family was $41,605. Males had a median income of $32,034 versus $21,346 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,082. About 8.60% of families and 11.40% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.70% of those under age 18 and 10.20% of those age 65 or over.
Washington County has a 3-member Board of County Commissioners that oversee the various County departments, similar to all but 2 of the 88 Ohio counties. Washington County's elected commissioners are: Tim Irvine (R), David White (R), and Ron Feathers (R).
There are six high schools that serve the people of Washington County (as of 2014).
- Belpre Golden Eagles
- Beverly Fort Frye Cadets
- New Matamoras Frontier Cougars
- Marietta Tigers
- Vincent Warren Warriors
- Waterford Wildcats
There is also the Washington County Career Center, a tech school, and the Washington State Community College, a two-year college, both located in Marietta.
- Covered bridges of southeast Ohio
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Washington County, Ohio
- "Ohio County Profiles: Washington County" (PDF). Ohio Department of Development. Retrieved 2007-04-28.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Washington County data". Ohio State University Extension Data Center. Archived from the original on October 11, 2008. Retrieved 2007-04-28.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. Yarmouth, Me.: DeLorme. 1991. pp. 71–73, 80–81. ISBN 0-89933-233-1.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- Forstall, Richard L., ed. (March 27, 1995). "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. April 2, 2001. Retrieved February 11, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Washington County Board of Commissioners". Washington County Ohio Homepage. Retrieved November 29, 2013.
- Israel Ward Andrews, Washington County, and the Early Settlement of Ohio: Being the Centennial Historical Address, before the Citizens of Washington County. Cincinnati, OH: P.G. Thomson, 1877.
- Martin Register Andrews and Seymour J. Hathaway, History of Marietta and Washington County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens. Chicago : Biographical Publishing Co., 1902.
- William Dana Emerson, et al., Washington County, Ohio. Marietta, OH: Washington County Historical Society, 1976.
- Henry Howe, History of Washington County, Ohio, 1788-1889. Knightstown, IN: Bookmark, 1977.
- Thomas William Lewis, History of Southeastern Ohio and the Muskingum Valley, 1788-1928. In Three Volumes. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1928.
- Washington County Historical Society, Washington County, Ohio, to 1980: A Collection of Topical and Family Sketches. Marietta, OH: Washington County Historical Society, 1980.
- H.Z. Williams & Bro., History of Washington County, Ohio: With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches. Cleveland, OH: H.Z. Williams, 1881.
||Morgan County||Noble County||Monroe County|
|Tyler County, West Virginia|
|Athens County||Wood County, West Virginia||Pleasants County, West Virginia|