Washington H. Soul Pattinson
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Public (ASX: SOL)|
|Founded||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia (January 21, 1903 )|
|Robert Millner, Executive Chairman|
Washington H. Soul Pattinson and Company Limited is an Australian investment company founded by businessman Lewy Pattinson.
Lewy Pattinson emigrated to Australia in 1881 after hearing of Soul's success and became good friends with him. They were never in competition in business, and in the early 1900s, the Souls asked Pattinson to buy their business. As a result, Pattinson and Co. bought out Washington H. Soul and Co. and the entity became Washington H. Soul Pattinson and Company Limited, the company named out of respect for Pattinson's friend.
The first public offering of shares was in December 1902, and Washington H. Soul Pattinson and Company Limited was listed on the Sydney Stock Exchange (now the Australian Securities Exchange) on 21 January 1903. WHSP celebrated one hundred years as a listed public company in 2002 and its headquarters remain at 160 Pitt Street Mall, Sydney.
The company's principal activities are diverse, spanning the following concerns:
- ownership of shares and properties,
- coal mining,
- bulk handling,
- commercial television licensee and operator,
- program and television production,
- telecommunications carrier,
- retailing of pharmaceutical products,
- manufacture, processing and marketing of seasonings, essences, food colours, perfumes and aromatic chemicals,
- fruit juices,
- reconstitution of polyethylene film.
WHSP's main subsidiaries and associated investments include:
- Ampcontrol (43.3%)
- Apex Healthcare (30.3%)
- Australian Pharmaceutical Industries (19.3%)
- BKI Investment Company (8.6%)
- Brickworks Limited (43.9%)
- Clover Corporation (22.6%)
- CopperChem (100%)
- Milton Corporation (3.8%)
- New Hope Coal (50.0%)
- Pitt Capital Partners (100%)
- TPG Telecom (25.3%)
- TPI Enterprises (19.9%)
WHSP also operates nine pharmacies in Sydney, including two in the CBD and seven in the Sydney metropolitan area.
Chairmen of Washington H. Soul Pattinson
- 1903–1905 Lewy Pattinson
- 1906–1929 Sir Thomas Hughes
- 1957–1969 William Frederick Pattinson
- 1969–1999 Jim Millner
- 1984–present Robert Millner
- "Current Operations". Retrieved 8 March 2018.