Washington High School (Phoenix, Arizona)
|Washington High School|
|2217 W Glendale Ave
Phoenix, Arizona 85021
|School type||Public high school|
|Motto||Purple Pride - Excellence - Strength - Commitment|
|School district||Glendale Union High School District|
|Enrollment||1,783 (August 28, 2015)|
|Color(s)||Purple and white|
|Rival||Sunnyslope High School|
|Feeder schools||Palo Verde Middle School, Royal Palm Middle School, Maryland School, Orangewood School|
|Website||Washington High School|
Washington High School (commonly Washington or WHS) is a public high school in Phoenix, Arizona, United States. It serves students from grades 9-12. Washington is a part of the Glendale Union High School District, and opened in 1955 with its first graduating class in 1956.
Washington High School offers eleven Advanced Placement classes, including Biology, Calculus AB and BC, English Literature, French, Japanese Language and Culture, Spanish, Studio Art, US Government, US History, Photography, and World History. It has received the 'Excelling' label by the Arizona Board of Education every year for the past 3 years.
After school clubs
WHS's Interact club is one of the largest and most active Interact clubs in the world. The club does community service activities at least twice a week. It is sponsored by the Sun City Rotary club.
Notable alumni and staff
- 1967 graduate Charlie Hickcox won three 1968 Olympic Gold medals in swimming.
- 1973 graduate Karl Pagel played in the MLB for the Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians.
- 1978 graduate Mike Pagel was an All-State quarterback in football. He went on to play the same position at Arizona State University and ultimately in the National Football League. He played for four different teams in his 12 NFL seasons.
- 1994 graduate Chester Bennington was an American singer and songwriter best known as the frontman for the rock band Linkin Park.
- 2015 graduate Yesenia Vidales won Miss Arizona Latina 2017.
- Viral internet sensation Trinidad Cardona