Washington Market Park
|Washington Market Park|
Washington Market Park. The towers of the World Financial Center can be seen in the background (center, skyline).
|Area||1.61-acre (6,500 m2)|
Washington Market Park is an urban park located in the TriBeCa neighborhood of Lower Manhattan in New York City. The park, which is bounded by Greenwich, Chambers, and West Streets, covers 1.61-acre (6,500 m2). The park also has a community gardens, large playground and hosts many community events.
The city of New York proposed the construction of a municipal parking lot on a disused dump site located just south of the Independence Plaza apartments in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Residents of TriBeCa, including former New York City councilwoman Kathryn E. Freed, protested the planned parking lot and campaigned for a new city park in their neighborhood. At the time, the tiny, triangular Duane Park was one of the few green spaces in TriBeCa. The activists successfully persuaded officials to build a park, which was called Washington Market Park, instead of the parking lot.
Washington Market Park opened in April 1983. It is named for the former Washington Market, which functioned as New York City's most important wholesale produce market, reaching its peak between 1880 and 1910. New York City tore down the nearby, former Washington Market buildings in the 1960s when the wholesale produce industry relocated to Hunts Point in the Bronx.
In 2003, Mayor Michael Bloomberg included Washington Market Park as one of twelve parks in Lower Manhattan which received a combined $25 million in upgrades from the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation.
- Senft, Bret (September 26, 1993). "If You're Thinking of Living In/TriBeCa; Families Are the Catalyst for Change". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- Landis, Dylan (May 15, 1983). "If You're Thinking of Living In Tribeca". The New York Times. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- Saltonstall, David (May 28, 2003). "Parks Downtown To Be Dolled Up". Daily News. New York. Retrieved 2011-07-07.
- The Friends of Washington Market Park
- The Tribeca Trib: Sod Will Let Washington Market Park Lawn Open a Month Early