Washington Redskins Cheerleaders
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Washington Redskins Cheerleaders (1962-present)|
The Washington Redskins Cheerleaders were formed in 1962. They are the second longest running PROFESSIONAL National Football League cheerleading organization. The Oakland Raiderettes, founded in 1961, are the longest running PROFESSIONAL cheerleaders in the NFL. The Baltimore Colts Cheerleaders, founded in 1954, were the first professional cheerleaders in the NFL. 
Originally called the Redskinettes, they have cheered for the Washington Redskins since August 1962. The first director of Redskinettes was Doris Snyder.
In addition to touring with the football team, they have performed around the world. In 1982, they were invited to be the first NFL cheerleaders to perform in Asia promoting U.S. commercial products throughout Taiwan. The following year, the cheerleaders produced their first calendar, which they have continued since. In 1984, they were the fourth NFL squad to perform in a United Service Organizations (USO) tour entertaining the armed forces in Turkey, Italy, Sicily, Spain and the 6th Fleet off the coast of France. Since then, they have participated in 63 Department of Defense (DOD) tours to entertain members of the U.S. military.
The Washington Redskins Cheerleaders were also the first cheerleaders in the NFL to form an alumni association. The Washington Redskins Cheerleader Alumni Association (WRCAA) was founded in 1984 by former cheerleader Terri Crane-Lamb.
- Jillian Anderson, contestant of The Bachelor season 19
- Maureen Gardner (1974–1976), wife of the 71st governor of Virginia, Bob McDonnell
- Debbie Barrigan (1994–1995, 1999–2001), Blast! dance troupe member.
- Michaé Holloman (2002–2007), Miss Maryland USA 2007
- Monique Thompkins (2010–present), Miss District of Columbia USA 2012
- Kelley Cornwell, wife of Jeff Halpern
- Terri Crane-Lamb, founder of the First NFL Alumni Cheerleader Association (1984)
- Patricia Gauani, Miss Delaware USA 1997
- The only rival claim for being first in the NFL is the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. The Dallas Cowboys had cheerleaders called the CowBelles & Beaux in 1960, drawn from local high school student volunteers, but they were entirely replaced, by professional cheerleaders in the early 1970s "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-02-04. Retrieved 2006-05-31.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link).
- Washington Redskins Cheerleaders Alumni Association - The Washington Redskins Cheerleader Alumni Association
- 'Bachelor' Gal Jillian Anderson Works At Fox News, And Oh Yeah, She's Also a Cheerleader
- Debbie Barrigan (2007) Retrieved February 9, 2007. Archived September 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- Miss Maryland USA (2007) Retrieved February 9, 2007.
- McKenna, Dave, "Pom Pom Diplomacy: Redskinettes look back on cheering 'Gimme a U! Gimme an S! Gimme an A!'", Washington CityPaper, October 28 – November 3, 2005
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Washington Redskins Cheerleaders.|