Washington Square News
|Headquarters||New York, New York|
|Sister newspapers||NYU Local, Washington Square Review|
|Free online archives||https://nyunews.com/tag/archives/|
Washington Square News is the weekly student newspaper of New York University (NYU). It is the companion publication for NYU along with NYU Local, and the undergraduate equivalent of Washington Square Review.
The paper, better known as WSN, has a circulation of 10,000 and an estimated 40,000 readers online. It is published in print on Monday, in addition to online publication Tuesday through Friday during the fall and spring semesters, with additional issues published in the summer. It serves the NYU, Greenwich Village, and East Village communities in Manhattan, New York City.
WSN is run solely by NYU students, with the paper's senior staff mostly composed of undergraduates. Its offices are located at 75 Third Ave. It serves the student population by helping with opportunities for reporting, writing, editing, coding, photography, video production, design, illustration and business.
The term for the positions of editor-in-chief and managing editor is one calendar year, beginning in the spring semester and ending after the fall semester.
The newspaper was born in 1973 as the result of NYU's merging of their two campus weeklies: the University Heights campus in the Bronx had published The Heights Daily News, while the Washington Square campus in Lower Manhattan originally published The Washington Square Journal.
In 2000, WSN launched its website nyunews.com. In 2017, WSN launched its podcast, "Newsflash," and then rebranded the following year as "Washington Square Noise." In 2018, WSN launched its digital weekly magazine "Under the Arch."
Editor-in-Chief: Cole Stallone
Managing Editor: Abby Hofstetter
Deputy Managing Editors: Ronni Husmann, Paul Kim and Anna-Dmitry Muratova
Creative Directors: Deborah Alalade and Charlie Dodge
Multimedia Editor: Alexandra Chan
News Editors: Lisa Cochran and Emily Mason
Opinion Editor: Jun Sung
Culture Editor: Bella Gil
Arts Editors: Kaylee DeFreitas and Ethan Zack
Sports Editor: Arvind Sriram
Under the Arch Managing Editor: Guru Ramanathan
Copy Chiefs: Daija Dewberry and Dana Sun
Social Media and Marketing Editor: Vanessa Handy
Business Manager: Mel Bautista
Director of Sales: Yejin Chang
Director of Marketing and Logistics: Mira Silviera
In 2009, reporters Marc Beja and Adam Playford (Editor-in-Chief, 2008) won 1st place in the category of "Best News Story" from the New York State Press Association and National Winner in the category of "In-depth reporting" from the Society of Professional Journalists. At the same time Alvin Chang (Editor-in-Chief, 2007) won best columnist.
In 2003, the paper won seven first-place awards in the Division 1 "Better College Newspaper Contest" of the New York State Press Association.
Notable former staff
- Shaun Assael, author, staff writer at ESPN The Magazine
- Bill Bastone, editor, The Smoking Gun
- Cindy Behrman, advertising editor, Suddler & Hennesey; writer, Village Voice and New York Press (deceased July 22, 2008)
- Marc H. Bell, CEO of Penthouse Media Group
- Russell Berman, reporter, The Hill
- Matt Buchanan, executive editor, Eater
- Alvin Chang, senior reporter, Vox
- Fred Clarke, Democratic Party communications strategist; IBM communications manager
- Katherine Creag, television reporter, Good Day New York
- Charles Dharapak, photojournalist
- Jill Filipovic, author and writer at Feministe
- Bradley Hope, reporter, Wall Street Journal
- Eileen "E.P." Gunn, 'Eco-Nomics' columnist, TheStreet.com, freelance writer/editor/lecturer
- Gary He, freelance photojournalist
- Annette Heist, senior producer, Gimlet Media
- Tim Herrera, founding editor, NYTimes' Smarter Living
- Eric Kohn, senior editor and chief film critic, Indiewire
- Jessica Letkemann, former editor, billboard.com
- Mark Mueller, former staff writer, Newark Star-Ledger (shares 2005 Pulitzer Prize)
- Jon Mummolo, Princeton University politics professor
- Lindsay Noonan, Writer/Producer at CNN
- Andrew Nusca, editor, Fortune
- Amy Odell, author and former editor, Cosmopolitan
- Brian O'Keefe, deputy editor, Fortune Magazine
- Kira Peikoff, author, The Unholy Grail
- Adam Playford, investigations editor, Tampa Bay Times
- David E. Rovella, managing editor at Bloomberg News, Attorney
- Joel Sherman, sportswriter/columnist, New York Post
- Rachel Holliday Smith, reporter, The City
- Gene Weingarten, Washington Post columnist; 2008, 2010 Pulitzer Prize winner
- Scott Wenger, former assistant managing editor, Daily News (New York)
- "About". Washington Square News. Retrieved 2020-04-08.
- Elizabeth Castro (2004–11). "Next Generation Radio Project". 2004 National College Media Convention. NPR. Retrieved 2008-10-03. Check date values in:
- Local, N. Y. U. (2016-11-16). "The Washington Square News Profile". Medium. Retrieved 2020-04-10.
- "Broke student 'slept in library'". 2004-04-28. Retrieved 2020-04-18.
- "Staff – Washington Square News". www.nyunews.com. Retrieved 2018-05-25.
- "Washington Square News Voted Best Undergraduate Paper". The Villager. 2004-03-14. Retrieved 2008-10-03.