Washington State Route 230
|Auxiliary route of SR 23|
|Defined by RCW|
|History:||First proposed in 1945|
|West end:||I‑90 / US 395 in Ritzville|
|East end:||SR 23 in Ewan|
State Route 230 (SR 230) is a legislated, but unconstructed, state highway to be located in Adams and Whitman counties in the U.S. state of Washington. The highway would begin at a junction with concurrent highways Interstate 90 (I-90) and U.S. Route 395 (US 395) in Ritzville and travel east to an intersection with SR 23 in Ewan. Plans for the first highway first emerged in 1945, to be studied after the conclusion of World War II, however no action has been taken on construction of the highway.
The highway is legislated to begin in Ritzville at a junction with concurrent highways I-90 and US 395 and travel east through a mixture of farm and desert landscapes, crossing over the Adams–Whitman county line in the process. A junction with SR 23 near Ewan is to be the eastern terminus of the highway. Currently travelers wishing to travel between the two communities take the freeway to Sprague, then head southeast along SR 23.
The highway was first proposed in 1945, with the support of the Ritzville Chamber of Commerce and senator Elmer C. Huntley of Colfax. An earmark of just over $1.5 million (equivalent to $51.3 million in 2015) was set aside for the project to be used after the war. The proposed highway's designation was changed to the current designator, SR 230, after the 1964 state highway renumbering. The legal definition of SR 23, the highway's proposed eastern terminus, was changed during the 1987 legislative session to remove a reference of a junction with SR 230.
|Adams||Ritzville||0||0.0||I‑90 / US 395 – Seattle, Spokane||Western terminus|
|Whitman||Ewan||SR 23 – Colfax, Sprague||Eastern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Washington State Route 168 - another legislated but unconstructed state highway
- Woodward, Walt (March 8, 1945). "Under the Capital Dome: Colfax Cut-Off Sought in Bill Before Solons". The Ritzville Journal-Times. Ritzville, Wash. p. 8. Retrieved February 16, 2011.
- "RCW 47.17.440: State route No. 230.". Washington State Legislature. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- Google (February 13, 2011). "Ritzville to Ewan" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved February 13, 2011.
- United States nominal Gross Domestic Product per capita figures follow the Measuring Worth series supplied in Johnston, Louis; Williamson, Samuel H. (2016). "What Was the U.S. GDP Then?". MeasuringWorth. Retrieved April 10, 2016. These figures follow the figures as of 2015.
- "Senate Bill No. 5413". 50th Legislature - 1987 Regular Session. Washington State Legislature. Retrieved February 13, 2011.
- SR 230 on Highways of Washington State