Washington Township, Hamilton County, Indiana
Location in Hamilton County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||55.98 sq mi (145.0 km2)|
|• Land||55.68 sq mi (144.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2) 0.54%|
|Elevation||922 ft (281 m)|
|• Density||590.6/sq mi (228.0/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||0453998|
Washington Township is one of nine townships in Hamilton County, Indiana, United States. As of the 2010 census, its population was 32,884 and it contained 12,477 housing units. In 2007, the township had 29,361 residents. Due to Clay Township (neighboring to the south) becoming more conservative with development due to a reduction in available land over the past few years, Washington Township has seen an increase in residential communities being developed.
Washington Township was organized in 1833.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 55.98 square miles (145.0 km2), of which 55.68 square miles (144.2 km2) (or 99.46%) is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) (or 0.54%) is water. The streams of Bear Creek, Cool Creek, Finley Creek, Grassy Branch, Jones Ditch, Kreager Ditch, Little Eagle Creek, and Woodruff Branch run through this township.
Cities and towns
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Adams Township (north)
- Jackson Township (northeast)
- Noblesville Township (east)
- Clay Township (south)
- Eagle Township, Boone County (southwest)
- Union Township, Boone County (west)
- Marion Township, Boone County (northwest)
The township contains twelve cemeteries: Anti-Slavery Friends, Chester, Eagletown, Greenwood, Hammack, Little Eagle Creek, Memorial Park, Pleasant View, Sugar Grove, Summit Lawn, Summit Lawn and Thomas And Moore.
Airports and landing strips
- Helicopter Airways of Indiana
- Pace Airport
- Wilderness Field
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Haines, John F. (1915). History of Hamilton County, Indiana: Her People, Industries And Institutions, Volume 1. B.F. Bowen & Co. p. 179.
|This Hamilton County, Indiana location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|