Washington Township, Auglaize County, Ohio
|Washington Township, Auglaize County, Ohio|
Fields north of New Knoxville
Location of Washington Township in Auglaize County
|• Total||31.1 sq mi (80.5 km2)|
|• Land||31.1 sq mi (80.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||896 ft (273 m)|
|• Density||60/sq mi (23.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085774|
Washington Township is one of the fourteen townships of Auglaize County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 1,874 people in the township, 995 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Moulton Township - north
- Duchouquet Township - northeast corner
- Pusheta Township - east
- Dinsmore Township, Shelby County - southeast corner
- Van Buren Township, Shelby County - south
- Saint Marys Township - west
- Noble Township - northwest corner
The village of New Knoxville is located in southwestern Washington Township.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the area of the township is 31.1 square miles (80.5 km2).
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
The township is split between the Wapakoneta City School District, the Saint Marys City School District, and the New Knoxville Local School District.
The northwestern section of the township is served by the Saint Marys (45885) post office, the northeastern section by the Wapakoneta (45895) post office, the southern section by the New Knoxville (45871) post office, and the extreme southeastern section by the Botkins (45306) post office.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Washington township, Auglaize County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Brief History of Washington Twp., Auglaize County, Ohio Auglaize County Genweb, 2006. Accessed 16 August 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.