Washington Township, Belmont County, Ohio
|Washington Township, Belmont County, Ohio|
Countryside along Clover Ridge Road
Location of Washington Township in Belmont County
|• Total||35.9 sq mi (92.9 km2)|
|• Land||35.4 sq mi (91.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,165 ft (355 m)|
|• Density||15/sq mi (5.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085788|
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Smith Township - north
- Mead Township - northeast
- York Township - east
- Switzerland Township, Monroe County - southeast
- Sunsbury Township, Monroe County - southwest
- Wayne Township - west
Name and history
Washington Township was organized about 1831.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Washington township, Belmont County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- McKelvey, A. T. (1903). Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens. Biographical Publishing Company. p. 303.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.