Washington Township, Blackford County, Indiana
Location of Washington Township in Blackford County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||36.23 sq mi (93.8 km2)|
|• Land||36.22 sq mi (93.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.03 km2)|
|Elevation||883 ft (269 m)|
|• Density||24.1/sq mi (9.3/km2)|
|GNIS feature ID||453982|
Washington Township is one of four townships in Blackford County, Indiana. As of the 2010 census, its population was 873 and it contained 374 housing units. County Commissioners named the township after George Washington in 1833, and it was part of Jay County. In 1838, Washington Township became part of the newly organized Blackford County.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 36.23 square miles (93.8 km2), of which 36.22 square miles (93.8 km2) (or 99.97%) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.026 km2) (or 0.03%) is water.
- Silas (ghost town)
The township contains at least nine cemeteries: Balsley, Center, Hadden, Herbaugh, Leffler, Mills, Roll, Shields, and Schmidt.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- See “A History of Blackford County, Indiana…”, page 152.
- A History of Blackford County, Indiana : with historical accounts of the county, 1838-1986 [and] histories of families who have lived in the county. Hartford City, Indiana: Blackford County Historical Society. 1986. p. 302. OCLC 15144953.
- Biographical and historical record of Jay and Blackford Counties, Indiana: Containing ... portraits and biographies of some of the prominent men of the state : engravings of prominent citizens in Jay and Blackford Counties, with personal histories of many of the leading families and a concise history of Jay and Blackford Counties and their cities and villages. Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company. 1887. p. 901. OCLC 15560416.
- Blackford County Historical Society
- U.S. Board on Geographic Names
- United States Census Bureau cartographic boundary files
||Van Buren Township, Grant County||Jackson Township, Wells County||Chester Township, Wells County|
|Monroe Township, Grant County||Harrison Township|
|Jefferson Township, Grant County||Licking Township||Jackson Township|