Washington Township, Brown County, Ohio
|Washington Township, Brown County, Ohio|
White Oak Creek north of Sardinia
Location of Washington Township in Brown County
|• Total||22.6 sq mi (58.6 km2)|
|• Land||22.6 sq mi (58.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||961 ft (293 m)|
|• Density||104/sq mi (40.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085807|
Washington Township is one of the sixteen townships of Brown County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 2,354 people in the township, over 2,000 of whom lived in the unincorporated portion of the township.
Located in the northern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Clay Township, Highland County - north
- Whiteoak Township, Highland County - northeast
- Eagle Township - east
- Jackson Township - southeast corner
- Franklin Township - south
- Scott Township - southwest
- Pike Township - west
- Green Township - northwest corner
The village of Sardinia is located in northern Washington Township.
Name and history
Washington Township was established in 1822.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Washington township, Brown County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- The History of Brown County, Ohio. Higginson Book Company. 1883. p. 664.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.