Washington Township, Gibson County, Indiana
Location within Gibson County
Patoka in White River Township serves as seat.
|School District||North Gibson School Corporation|
|Named for||George Washington|
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Trustee||Tony Shroeder|
|• Total||36.79 sq mi (95.3 km2)|
|• Land||36.34 sq mi (94.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.44 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|Elevation||499 ft (152 m)|
|• Density||21.6/sq mi (8.3/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||47567, 47640, 47649, 47666, 47670|
|GNIS feature ID||453995|
|Washington Township is one of two townships in Gibson County that has no Zip Code or Township Seat. Although Oatsville, on the county line with Pike County has its own code.|
Washington Township is one of ten townships in Gibson County, Indiana. As of the 2010 census, its population was 785 and it contained 345 housing units. Like Wabash Township, Washington Township also has no organized seat within the township, despite its two corporation-worthy towns Mount Olympus and Wheeling. Patoka, in White River Township, serves as the seat.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 36.79 square miles (95.3 km2), of which 36.34 square miles (94.1 km2) (or 98.78%) is land and 0.44 square miles (1.1 km2) (or 1.20%) is water.
Point of Interest
- Johnson Township (north)
The township contains five cemeteries: Armstrong, Kirk, Kirk-McRoberts, Phillips and Richardson.
Washington Township is served by the North Gibson School Corporation although not having any schools of its own since the early 1970s.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Stormont, Gil R. (1914). History of Gibson County, Indiana: Her People, Industries and Institutions. B.F. Bowen. pp. 379–380.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.