Washington Township, Logan County, Ohio
|• Total||62.6 sq mi (162 km2)|
|• Land||59.1 sq mi (153 km2)|
|• Water||3.5 sq mi (9 km2)|
|Elevation||991 ft (302 m)|
|• Density||54/sq mi (21/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||937, 326|
|GNIS feature ID||1086496|
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Richland Township - northeast
- McArthur Township - east
- Harrison Township - southeast
- Pleasant Township - south
- Bloomfield Township - west
- Stokes Township - northwest
The southern part of Indian Lake is located in northern Washington Township.
Name and history
On the shores of Dunns Pond (in northern Washington Township) is a Native American mound, the Dunns Pond Mound, which was built at some point between 300 BC and AD 600. The mound is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "U.S. Gazetteer Files: 2019: County Subdivisions: Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau Geography Division. Retrieved July 23, 2020.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. October 25, 2007. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "Washington township, Logan County, Ohio - Census Bureau Profile". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 17, 2023.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- History of Logan County and Ohio: Containing a History of the State of Ohio, from Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time. O.L. Baskin. 1880. p. 247.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved February 16, 2007.
- Detailed map of Indian Lake, Logan County Engineer's Office. Accessed 2009-07-16.
- Drennen, Bert C., III. National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Dunns Pond Mound. National Park Service, 1974-01-22.