Washington Township, Mercer County, Ohio
|Washington Township, Mercer County, Ohio|
St. Anthony Catholic Church, a landmark in the township
Location in Mercer County and the state of Ohio.
|• Total||36.3 sq mi (94.1 km2)|
|• Land||36.3 sq mi (94.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||869 ft (265 m)|
|• Density||33.5/sq mi (12.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086633|
Located in the western part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Liberty Township - north
- Jefferson Township - northeast
- Butler Township - southeast
- Recovery Township - south
- Noble Township, Jay County, Indiana - southwest
- Wabash Township, Jay County, Indiana - northwest
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Mercer County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Scranton, S. S. (1907). History of Mercer County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens. Biographical Publishing Company. p. 161.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.