Washington Township, Miami County, Indiana
Location in Miami County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Total||28.38 sq mi (73.5 km2)|
|• Land||28.12 sq mi (72.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.26 sq mi (0.7 km2) 0.92%|
|Elevation||791 ft (241 m)|
|• Density||124.2/sq mi (48.0/km2)|
|ZIP codes||46914, 46970|
|GNIS feature ID||0454006|
The first settler, Thomas Henton, arrived in Washington Township in 1838 and built a cabin upon a hill.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 28.38 square miles (73.5 km2), of which 28.12 square miles (72.8 km2) (or 99.08%) is land and 0.26 square miles (0.67 km2) (or 0.92%) is water. The Wabash River defines the township's northern border.
Cities, towns, villages
- Peru (southeast quarter)
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
The township contains these four cemeteries: Crider, Rankin, Salem and Sharpee.
Airports and landing strips
- Shinn Bone Lane Airport
- Maconaquah School Corporation
- Peru Community Schools
- Indiana's 5th congressional district
- State House District 23
- State House District 32
- State Senate District 18
- "Washington Township, Miami County, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-09-29.
- United States Census Bureau 2008 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Bodurtha , Arthur Lawrence (1914). History of Miami County, Indiana: A Narrative Account of Its Historical Progress, Its People and Its Principal Interests. Lewis Pub. p. 149.
- "History of Miami County (archived)". Miami County Tourism Office. Retrieved 22 August 2015.
- History of Miami County, Indiana: From the Earliest Time to the Present. Brant & Fuller. 1887. p. 802.
- Indiana Township Association
- United Township Association of Indiana
- City-Data.com page for Washington Township
|Pipe Creek Township||Butler Township|
|Deer Creek Township||Clay Township||Harrison Township|