Washington Township, Sandusky County, Ohio
|Washington Township, Sandusky County, Ohio|
Farm fields in northeastern Washington Township
Location of Washington Township, Sandusky County, Ohio
|• Total||48.6 sq mi (125.9 km2)|
|• Land||48.6 sq mi (125.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||636 ft (194 m)|
|• Density||49.3/sq mi (19.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086919|
Washington Township is one of the twelve townships of Sandusky County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2000 census, 2,396 people lived in the township, 1,769 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Harris Township, Ottawa County - north
- Salem Township, Ottawa County - northeast corner, north of Rice Township
- Rice Township - northeast, south of Salem Township
- Sandusky Township - east
- Ballville Township - southeast corner
- Jackson Township - south
- Scott Township - southwest corner
- Madison Township - west
- Woodville Township - northwest
Four villages are located in Washington Township:
- Part of Elmore in the northwest
- Part of Gibsonburg in the west
- Part of Helena in the southwest
- Lindsey in the northeast
Washington Township also contains the unincorporated community of Hessville.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Sandusky County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 13 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.