Washington Township, Tuscarawas County, Ohio
|Washington Township, Tuscarawas County, Ohio|
Civil War memorial near Gilmore
Location of Washington Township in Tuscarawas County
|• Total||25.7 sq mi (66.5 km2)|
|• Land||25.7 sq mi (66.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||846 ft (258 m)|
|• Density||29.7/sq mi (11.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087070|
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Clay Township - north
- Rush Township - northeast corner
- Perry Township - east
- Monroe Township, Guernsey County - south
- Wheeling Township, Guernsey County - southwest corner
- Oxford Township - west
- Salem Township - northwest
No municipalities are located in Washington Township.
Name and history
Washington Township was organized in 1827.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Loren Berger, William Edwards, and Micah Hagan, and the fiscal officer is Karla Jean Bierbower.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Tuscarawas County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 478. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- Tuscarawas County, Ohio — Engineer: Joseph S. Bachman. Tuscarawas County. Accessed 2007-06-01.