Washington Wing Civil Air Patrol
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Washington Wing of the Civil Air Patrol, the United States Air Force Auxiliary
|United States Air Force|
|Commander||Col Shelly J. Norman |
|Vice Commander||Lt Col Kenneth Butler |
|Chief of Staff||Capt Jessica J. Jerwa |
|Statistics as of 31 Aug 2017|
The Civil Air Patrol's Washington Wing (abbreviated WAWG) is the highest echelon of the Civil Air Patrol in the state of Washington. Its headquarters are located in Pierce County, Washington at McChord Field at Joint Base Lewis–McChord near Tacoma, Washington. Washington Wing oversees 27 primary subordinate squadrons located throughout the state.
Locally, Washington Wing Civil Air Patrol members operate a fleet of 23 vehicles and 14 aircraft (Cessnas 172s, 182s, and a 206, as well as 2 Blanik gliders) for inland search and rescue missions and cadet orientation flight instruction. Washington members contributed a value of $4.9 million in volunteer hours to their local communities and the state of Washington in 2016. In April 2018, Washington Wing installed the first female to reach the grade of Colonel, Shelly J. Norman  as Wing Commander in a change of command ceremony in Wenatchee, Washington.
Other 2016 statistics: - 144 aircrew personnel - 515 cadet orientation flights - 1,537 total hours flown - 779 emergency responders - 15 VHF/FM repeaters - 230 VHF/FM stations - 41 HF stations
The Washington Wing performs the three missions of the Civil Air Patrol: providing emergency services; offering cadet programs for youth; and providing aerospace education for both CAP members and the general public.
The Civil Air Patrol provides emergency services, which includes performing search and rescue and disaster relief missions; as well as assisting in humanitarian aid assignments. The CAP also provides Air Force support through conducting light transport, communications support, and low-altitude route surveys. The Civil Air Patrol can also offer support to counter-drug missions.
The Civil Air Patrol offers a cadet program for youth aged 12 to 21, which includes aerospace education, leadership training, physical fitness and moral leadership.
The Civil Air Patrol offers aerospace education for CAP members and the general public, including providing training to the members of CAP, and offering workshops for youth throughout the nation through schools and public aviation events.
- Arlington Composite Squadron
- Bellingham Composite Squadron
- Dungeness Composite Squadron
- Northshore Composite Squadron
- Overlake Composite Squadron
- Paine Field Composite Squadron
- Peninsula Composite Squadron
- Seattle Composite Squadron
- Skagit Composite Squadron
- Green River Composite Squadron
- Fort Vancouver Composite Squadron
- Lewis County Composite Squadron
- McChord Composite Squadron
- Mt. Rainier Composite Squadron
- Mt. St. Helens Squadron
- Renton Composite Squadron
- South Sound Composite Squadron
- 21st Fairchild Composite Squadron
- Columbia Basin Composite Squadron
- Deer Park Composite Squadron
- Inter-State Composite Squadron
- Northern Desert Composite Squadron
- Pangborn Composite Squadron
- Spokane Composite Squadron
- Tri-Cities Composite Squadron
- Twin W Composite Squadron
- Yakima Composite Squadron
Under Washington law, it is illegal for an employer within the borders of Washington to discipline or discharge from employment an employee who is a member of the Civil Air Patrol, due to that employee taking a leave of absence in order to take part in an emergency operation as a part of the Civil Air Patrol.
- "Biographies". Washington Wing Civil Air Patrol Official Website. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "Wing Staff". Washington Wing Civil Air Patrol Official Website. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "eServices, National Headquarters". Civil Air Patrol., login required
- "Contact Us". Washington Wing Civil Air Patrol Official Website. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "Find Your Local Unit". Washington Wing Civil Air Patrol Official Website. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- Marguerite Cleveland (19 April 2018). "New CAP Commander". Northwest Military. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "Members' volunteerism marked by exemplary community service" (PDF). Capmembers.com. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "Civil Air Patrol". Civil Air Patrol Official Website. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "Emergency Services". Civil Air Patrol Official Website. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "Cadet Programs". Civil Air Patrol Official Website. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "Aerospace Education". Civil Air Patrol Official Website. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "Volunteer firefighters, reserve officers, civil air patrol members—Employer duties—Violations—Definitions". Washington State Legislature. Retrieved 22 October 2017.