Washingtonville High School
|Washingtonville High School|
|54 West Main St
Washingtonville, NY 10992
|School type||Public, High school|
|School district||Washingtonville Central School District|
|NCES School ID||363003004040|
|Principal||Brian T. Connolly|
|Teaching staff||114 |
|• Grade 9||337|
|• Grade 10||329|
|• Grade 11||331|
|• Grade 12||370|
|Average class size||23 |
|Student to teacher ratio||13.26|
|Color(s)||Gold and Blue|
|Athletics conference||NYSPHSAA Section IX|
|Team name||Washingtonville Wizards|
|Budget||$84,370,348 (2013–2014) |
Town of Blooming Grove
Town of New Windsor (part)
|Website||Washingtonville High School|
The adjacent middle school was once the high school.
WHS has received accreditation by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. Washingtonville High School has set forth three particular goals: 1) Students will demonstrate increased academic performance (i.e. achieving mastery rate (85%) on NYS Regents Examinations); 2) Students will demonstrate preparation for and motivation to study at more rigorous levels of learning (i.e. Advanced Placement/College Courses); and 3) Students will be engaged within a positive social and emotional environment. In athletics, some of the school's rivals are Monroe-Woodbury in football and Warwick Valley in cross country and track and field. Perhaps Washingtonville's biggest rivalry is with the John Jay Patriots in club ice hockey. Games between the two can attract up to 150 people from each school at Ice Time in Newburgh or the Mid-Hudson Civic Center in Poughkeepsie.
The school recently completed an addition to the school.
- Steve Cahillane, Class of 1983, Executive President and President of Coca-Cola Americas.
- Keith Connolly, Class of 1993, former San Francisco Giants minor leaguer & Rutgers University baseball pitcher. Current Major League scout for the Kansas City Royals.
- Tony DeVito, Class of 1990, professional wrestler. Wrestled for the World Wrestling Federation, ECW and numerous smaller federations. Was in the tag team "The Baldies".
- Dan Gilroy, screenwriter and director best known for Nightcrawler.
- Tony Gilroy, Class of 1974, screenwriter, producer and director best known for The Bourne Ultimatum,The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Identity, Proof of Life, The Devil's Advocate and Michael Clayton.
- Rich Lee, Class of 1996, Director. Lee directed music videos for Eminem, The Black Eyed Peas, Norah Jones, Michael Bublé and The All-American Rejects.
- James Mangold, Class of 1981, screenwriter and director best known for Walk the Line, 3:10 to Yuma and Cop Land.
- Ralph Mosca, a.k.a. "Roughhouse", wrestled for the WWF and is still actively involved with and now promotes the WWE developmental league in Tampa, Florida.
- Scott Pioli, Class of 1983, executive with several National Football League teams.
- Naomi Sewell Richardson, Class of 1910, the first African-American graduate of the school and one of the founding members of the Delta Sigma Theta sorority.
- Brittany Taylor, Class of 2005, American soccer player.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Washingtonville Senior High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved Aug 26, 2013.
- "New York State Report Card 2011–2012" (PDF). Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- "WASHINGTONVILLE SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL - SCHOOL REPORT CARD DATA [2015 - 16]". New York State Department of Education. Retrieved 23 December 2016.
- "2013-2014 WCSD Proposed Budget "Fast Facts"". Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- "Coca-Cola Company: Our Company". Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- Witt, Kevin. "Connolly Decides to Retire". Times Herald-Record. Retrieved 26 August 2013.
- Ralph Mosca Interview
- Farlekas, Chris (October 7, 2005). "Lots of local affiliation to major Hollywood films". Times Herald-Record. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- "Washingtonville grads Tony Gilroy and James Mangold compete at Oscars". Times Herald-Record. February 25, 2008. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- Scott Pioli Bio
- "#ThrowBackThursday". Facebook. Moffat Library. September 29, 2016. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Brittany Taylor Bio