|• Total||96.89 km2 (37.41 sq mi)|
|Elevation||930 m (3,050 ft)|
|• Density||4.1/km2 (11/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Attinghausen, Engelberg (OW), Erstfeld, Gadmen (BE), Göschenen, Gurtnellen|
Wassen has an area, as of 2006[update], of 97 km2 (37 sq mi). Of this area, 12.5% is used for agricultural purposes, while 18.2% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 1.1% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (68.1%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains). In the 1993/97 land survey[update], 9.6% of the total land area was heavily forested, while 6.8% is covered in small trees and shrubbery. Of the agricultural land, 2.5% is used for orchards or vine crops and 10.1% is used for alpine pastures. Of the settled areas, 0.2% is covered with buildings, and 0.8% is transportation infrastructure. Of the unproductive areas, 0.1% is unproductive standing water (ponds or lakes), 1.2% is unproductive flowing water (rivers), 48.5% is too rocky for vegetation, and 18.3% is other unproductive land.
Wassen has a population (as of 31 December 2017) of 422. As of 2007[update], 7.2% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -16%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (94.2%), with Serbo-Croatian being second most common (2.4%) and Italian being third (1.3%). As of 2007[update] the gender distribution of the population was 51.8% male and 48.2% female.
Wassen has an unemployment rate of 0.64%. As of 2005[update], there were 43 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 18 businesses involved in this sector. 34 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 7 businesses in this sector. 121 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 18 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 09-Sep-2009
- Canton Uri - Ground use statistics ‹See Tfd›(in German) accessed 8 September 2009
- "STAT-TAB – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit" (online database) (official site) (in German and French). Neuchâtel, Switzerland: Federal Statistical Office - FSO. Retrieved 17 September 2018.
- Uri Population statistics ‹See Tfd›(in German) accessed 8 September 2009
- Uri in Numbers 2009/10 edition ‹See Tfd›(in German) accessed 8 September 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wassen.|