Waste management industry
Within Germany, waste management has evolved into a large economic sector. There are more than 270,000 people working in some 11,000 companies with an annual turnover of around 70 billion euros (~$77,647,000,000). More than 15,500 waste management facilities help to conserve resources through recycling and other recovery operations. On a global scale, the market size is expected to reach $530.0 billion by 2025 from $330.6 billion in 2017, with a compound annual growth rate of 6.0%. The growth might even continue when, according to a World Bank report, global waste production will grow by 70% from 2018 to 2050, unless severe measures are taken.
Among the top companies in the sector are the following:
- Advanced Disposal Services
- Biffa Group
- Clean Harbors, Inc.,
- Covanta Holding Corporation
- Hitachi Zosen Corporation
- Remondis AG & Co. Kg
- Suez Environment S.A
- Veolia Environment S.A
- Waste Management Inc., also the no. 1 in the USA
- Republic Services, Inc
- "Waste Management in Germany 2018 / Facts, data, diagrams" (PDF). BMU. 2018.
- "Industry Analysis and Forecast - 2025". Allied Market Research. Retrieved January 20, 2020.
- Kaza, Silpa; Yao, Lisa C.; Bhada-Tata, Perinaz; Woerden, Van (September 20, 2018). What a Waste 2.0. Open Knowledge Repository. doi:10.1596/978-1-4648-1329-0. hdl:10986/30317. ISBN 978-1-4648-1329-0. S2CID 169100123. Retrieved January 21, 2020.
- "Global Waste to Grow by 70 Percent by 2050 Unless Urgent Action is Taken: World Bank Report". World Bank. September 20, 2018. Retrieved January 21, 2020.
- "Industry Analysis and Forecast - 2025". Allied Market Research. Retrieved January 21, 2020.