Wat Mahathat Yuwaratrangsarit
|Wat Mahathat Yuwaratrangsarit|
Wat Mahathat Yuwaratrangsarit (Thai: วัดมหาธาตุยุวราชรังสฤษฎิ์ (Pronunciation)) is a Buddhist temple in Bangkok, Thailand. It is one of the 10 royal temples of the highest class (Thai: พระอารามหลวง ชั้นเอก ชนิดราชวรมหาวิหาร) in Bangkok.
Built during Ayutthaya period, the temple was then known as Wat Salak. Soon after Bangkok was established as the capital of Siam, the temple became strategically situated between the newly built Grand Palace and Front Palace (residence of the vice-king). As a result, the temple was used for royal ceremonies and funerals.
Throughout the past two centuries, the temple has been renovated and elevated in status by many Thai kings and royalties. It became the Wat Mahathat of Bangkok in 1803 and was given its current name in 1996. The temple is also home to Vipassana Meditation centre.
Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University, Thailand's oldest higher education institute for Buddhist monks, is on the temple grounds. This is one of the most important universities in Thailand, split into faculty of human sciences, social sciences, an international programme, and a graduate college. The first class was admitted in 1889 and by 1997, both universities became public universities.
- Liedtke 2011, p. 58
- 23 in Thailand
- Spooner 2011, p. 92
- Emmons 2008, p. 66
- Liedtke, Marcel (2011), Thailand- The East (English Edition), Norderstedt: Books on Demand GmbH, ISBN 978-3-8423-7029-6
- Emmons, Ron (2008), Top 10 Bangkok, New York: DK, ISBN 9780756688509
- Spooner, Andrew; Hana Borrowman, William Baldwin (2011), Footprint Thailand, UK: www.footprintbooks.com, ISBN 978-1-904777-94-6 Cite uses deprecated parameter
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wat Mahathat (Bangkok).|
- Wat Mahathat Yuwarajarangsarit Rajaworamahavihara (Dhammathai)
- Wat Mahathat Yuwarajarangsarit Rajaworamahavihara (Bangkok Tourist)
|This article about a Buddhist place of worship is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Thai building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to the city of Bangkok, Thailand is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|