|Industry||Network security and computer security|
|Prakash Panjwani (CEO)|
|Products||Unified Threat Management (UTM) devices, next-generation firewalls, secure WiFi devices, cloud-based threat intelligence, device detection|
Number of employees
WatchGuard, formally known as WatchGuard Technologies, Inc is a Seattle, Washington-based network security vendor. Its products are designed to protect computer networks from outside threats such as malware and ransomware.
The company was founded in 1996.
WatchGuard was founded in 1996 as Seattle Software Labs, Inc. Its first product was a network firewall called the WatchGuard Security Management System, which included the WatchGuard Firebox "firewall in a box" security appliance, along with configuration and administration software.
In 1997, the company changed its name to WatchGuard Technologies, Inc.
In July 1999, the company went public on NASDAQ.
In May 2014, CEO Wang stepped down and was replaced by interim CEO Michael Kohlsdorf, an operating partner with Francisco Partners.
In June 2016, the company acquired HawkEye G threat-detection and response technology from Hexis Cyber Solutions, now Sensage, part of KEYW Holding Corp. In October, the company launched the WatchGuard Wi-Fi Cloud, to extend its network security to Wi-Fi networks.
The company develops security products and services for businesses. There are four product groups: Network Security, Endpoint Security, Secure Wi-Fi and Multi-Factor Authentication.
The Network Security devices are categorized as Unified Threat Management (UTM), whereby a single device provides multiple security features. The devices include WatchGuard Dimension, a network discovery tool that allows administrators to identify devices on the network, including mobile devices; and WatchGuard cloud, giving the devices access to online threat intelligence.
The Endpoint Security offering includes products and services that provide advanced endpoint security, endpoint antivirus, security operations, and DNS level protection and content filtering.
The Secure Wi-Fi product line consists of secure indoor and outdoor Wave 1 and Wave 2 802.11ac Wi-Fi hardware, security subscription services and WatchGuard's Wi-Fi Cloud, a management platform used to control the devices.
The Multi-Factor Authentication group includes the company's AuthPoint application, a multi-factor authentication management and reporting tool which prevents unauthorized users from accessing sensitive cloud applications, VPNs and networks.
The company also issues a quarterly security report based on feed data from WatchGuard UTM appliances installed at customer sites. The report highlights the type and frequency of malicious attacks occurring on computer networks.
- "Gartner Magic Quadrant for Unified Threat Management, SMB Firewalls: Visionaries". msspalert.com. 2017-06-23. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Cyberattack scramble: sifting through code, a midnight patch and a lost weekend". seattletimes.com. 2017-05-16. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Company Overview of WatchGuard Technologies, Inc". bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "About to buy a firewall? Read this first". gcn.com. 1997-08-04. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Firewalls get watchdog". cnet.com. 1997-02-03. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "WATCHGUARD TECHNOLOGIES INC (WGRD) IPO". nasdaq.com. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Watchguard Names CEO". crn.com. 2007-04-24. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Company Overview of WatchGuard Technologies, Inc". seattlebusinessmag.com. 2013-08-01. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Watchguard CEO Joe Wang resigns; Michael Kohlsdorf named interim replacement". geekwire.com. 2014-05-13. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "WatchGuard Technologies buys threat-detection software for $3M plus stock". geekwire.com. 2016-06-15. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "WatchGuard names Panjwani as CEO". seattletimes.com. 2015-05-18. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "WatchGuard Technologies Looks To Take On Cisco Meraki With New Wi-Fi Cloud Solution". crn.com. 2016-10-18. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "WatchGuard buys Datablink for authentication". enterprisetimes.co.uk. 2018-08-09. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "WatchGuard Buys Percipient Networks To Fortify Its Malware Protection Capabilities For SMBs". crn.com. 2018-01-17. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "WatchGuard Introduces Multifactor Authentication Product". channelpronetwork.com. 2018-01-17. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "Seattle-based WatchGuard to acquire endpoint protection provider Panda Security". GeekWire. 2020-03-09. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "WatchGuard Completes Panda Acquisition". Infosecurity Magazine. June 2, 2020. Retrieved April 9, 2021.
- "WatchGuard Technologies CEO: We're On The Hunt For Acquisitions". crn.com. 2017-07-20. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "2017 Mobility 100: 30 Coolest Mobile Security And Device Management Vendors". crn.com. 2017-05-08. Retrieved 2018-08-13.
- "Product Information: WatchGuard T30-W and WatchGuard Dimension". scmagazine.com. 2016-05-02. Retrieved 2018-07-31.
- "WatchGuard Report Shows Rapid Growth of Attack Techniques, Malware". channelpartnersonline.com. 2017-12-12. Retrieved 2018-07-31.