Watch My Dance
|"Watch My Dance"|
|Single by Loucas Yiorkas feat. Stereo Mike|
(see release history)
|Genre||Laïko (zeibekiko), hip hop|
|Writer(s)||Giannis Christodoulopoulos, Eleana Vrahali|
|Loucas Yiorkas feat. Stereo Mike singles chronology|
"Watch My Dance" is a song by Cypriot singer Loucas Yiorkas featuring Stereo Mike. It is a laïko song set to a Zeibekiko dance rhythm, performed in Greek by Yiorkas, fused with rapped verses performed in English by Stereo Mike. It has represented Greece in the Eurovision Song Contest 2011. A snippet of the song was released by broadcaster Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation (ERT) on 9 February 2011 along with the other candidate songs from the national final, with the full song being presented by the broadcaster on 15 February 2011. On 2 March 2011, Yiorkas won a national final held by the broadcaster, competing against five other acts competing to represent Greece in the contest.
After an open call to record labels to submit proposals, on 11 January 2011, ERT officially announced the six candidates for the Greek national final, amongst them Loucas Yiorkas. Loucas Yiorkas chose the song "Watch my Dance" featuring Stereo Mike, written by Giannis Christodoulopoulos with lyrics by Eleana Vrahali. The lyrics are sung in Greek by Yiorkas and features English rapping by Stereo Mike. The song is a fusion of hip hop with the distinctively Greek music genres of zeibekiko and laïkó. There is heavy percussion in the laiko segment, which is uncustomary to traditional laiko.
Six acts competed on 2 March 2011 in the Greek National Final. The song was performed fifth in the final by Yiorkas and Stereo Mike. At the end of voting, "Watch My Dance" was revealed as the winner.
Yiorkas and Stereo Mike performed in the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest in Düsseldorf, Germany, in the second half of the first semi-final of the contest on 10 May 2011. "Watch My Dance" won the first semi-final and competed in the final held on 14 May 2011.
- Digital download
- "Watch My Dance" – 3:03
|Greek Airplay chart (IFPI Greece)||52|
|Greek Digital Singles||1|
|Greece||25 February 2011||Minos EMI||Airplay|
|Greece||March 2010||Minos EMI||Digital download|
- Savourdou, Betty (9 February 2011). "Songs Contesting in Greek Final". Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- Savourdou, Betty (8 February 2011). "Entries for Greece's Final to Be Presented on Tuesday 02/15!". Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- Staff (27 December 2010). "Άλλος για Eurovision;" (in Greek). Proto Thema. Retrieved 11 January 2011.
- Dahlander, Gustav (12 January 2011). "TV talents to battle for Greek Eurovision ticket". EBU. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- Papanikolaou, Natassa (10 February 2011). "Ποπ διάθεση, "Χαμογέλα", μια μπαλάντα και... χιπ χοπ ζεϊμπέκικο | τεχνες , τηλεοραση | v4.ethnos.gr" (in Greek). Ethnos. Retrieved 11 February 2011.
- Konstantopoulos, Fotis (9 February 2011). "ERT presents the 2011 national final songs". Oikotimes.com. Retrieved 11 February 2011.
- Jiandani, Sanjay (16 February 2011). "Greece: National final on 2nd March". ESC Today. Retrieved 17 February 2011.
- Siim, Jarmo (17 January 2011). "Results of the Semi-Final Allocation Draw". EBU. Retrieved 17 January 2011.
- Greek Airplay Chart
- Greek Digital Singles (SoundScan)
"OPA!" by Giorgos Alkaios & Friends
|Greek entry for the Eurovision Song Contest
"Aphrodisiac" by Eleftheria Eleftheriou